Data Analysis Climate Researchers Outline Strategy to Limit Global Warming Global warming is causing Himalayan glaciers to melt, affecting water supplies downstream. Courtesy of Nicolle Rager Fuller, National Science FoundationMajor greenhouse gas-emitting countries agreed in the December, 2009, climate talks in Copenhagen that substantial action is required to limit the increase of the global average temperature to less than 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit). Climate researchers at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, have identified three avenues by which the major greenhouse gas-emitting countries countries can avoid reaching the warming threshold. This threshold is a point beyond which many scientists believe climate change will present unmanageable negative consequences for society.In a paper appearing May 3, 2010, in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), Veerabhadran Ramanathan and Yangyang Xu suggest that exceeding this threshold would trigger irreversible phenomena such as widespread release of methane from melting permafrost and large-scale glacial melt. In turn, these would exacerbate climate change-related problems such as sea-level rise and acceleration of global warming.”Without an integrated approach that combines carbon dioxide emission reductions with reductions in other climate warmers, and without climate-neutral air pollution laws, we are certain to pass… Read full this story
- Global Warming Cooks Up 'a Different World' Over 3 Decades
- Natural solutions can reduce global warming
- Trump Pick to Head Climate Change Panel Says Global Warming Deniers Treated Like Jews in Nazi Germany
- Scott Pruitt: We Need More Proof Global Warming Exists; That Earth’s Basically Melting Is Not Enough
- Trump Thinks Global Warming Is Good Because This Might Be the Coldest New Year's Eve Ever
- Climate talks: Should rich countries pay for damage caused by global warming?
- Lima climate change talks reach global warming agreement
- Climate change: IPCC issues stark warning over global warming
- Just 90 companies caused two-thirds of man-made global warming emissions
- Leaked UN draft report warns of urgent need to cut global warming
Climate Researchers Outline Strategy to Limit Global Warming have 309 words, post on www.scientificcomputing.com at May 7, 2010. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.