The freak Halloween weekend snowstorm is being blamed for the death of a sickly Bronx great granny who died when her home lost power — and her oxygen machine shut down. Sixteen people were also hurt — and one died — in a multi-car pile-up on the icy Cross Bronx Expressway early Sunday morning. Kheowla Ramprasad, 77, died around 8:45 p.m. Saturday at her Heath Ave. home, cops and relatives said. The Guyanese matriarch suffered from a heart condition and diabetes and had gone on oxygen support two weeks ago, family said. It was unclear if there was a backup battery for her machine. “She was a very, very good person. It’s sad that this is the way she passed away,” said daughter Shala Mahmood, 50. “She was sick but she was doing okay. Once she couldn’t breathe, that generated all the other problems.” Mahmood said power was off and on in the house all day Saturday and went off completely at 5 p.m. About ten minutes later, Ramprasad began struggling to breathe. Mahmood said she called paramedics who came and worked on Ramprasad in the dark for two hours, but they were unable to save her. The family —… Read full this story
- The Stephen King interview, uncut and unpublished
- Arctic blast heads Northeast after battering the Midwest and leaving ONE THIRD of the country under a winter storm warning - as bomb cyclone dumps a record-breaking 30 INCHES of snow in a day in Newfoundland
- Travel chaos as more than 600 flights are grounded at Chicago's O'Hare Airport after a plane slides off Kansas City taxiway and snow cripples commutes across the Midwest placing 90 million people under a storm warning
- The Storming of Area 51: A Covert Journey to the Heart of America’s Worst-Kept Secret
- Thousands are told to find shelter NOW as bushfires approach - while Sydney faces a nervous wait with 'catastrophic' conditions set to get WORSE and the PM warns our darkest hours are ahead
- Tropical trip: President Trump slams Democrats for attending Puerto Rico retreat during government shutdown
- Decent homes for all… Has the social housing dream died?
Halloween horror snowstorm claims Bx great-granny; Icy roads send two motorists flying 75 feet off freeway have 342 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 30, 2011. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.