Most IT departments have project road maps that will require open source skills, but finding recent college grads with open source talent can be challenging.Whether your company is planning an open source-based big data implementation, installing an open-platform file manager, or adopting an open approach to customer relationship management, experts say traditional computer science departments might not be turning out students you need.”We still see that the status quo in computer science is very much missing an open source component,” says Tom Callaway, team lead for Red Hat’s University Outreach program. Therefore, hiring managers and recruiters should look to non-traditional schools that have committed coursework and even degree programs to open source.”Colleges and universities need to be doing more than just having students use open source applications or platforms; they need to be teaching them about the culture of open source and how to collaborate within the open source community,” he says.Here are six academic institutions — and instructors — immersing students in the open source community.Richard Simpson, associate professor, School of Engineering and Computing SciencesIn his three years at New York Institute of Technology, Richard Simpson has relied heavily on open source as a key engineering and computer sciences… Read full this story
- Can Celebrities Help Increase Vaccine Turn-Out?
- Google is turning its U.S. offices into COVID-19 vaccination sites
- Strictly Come Dancing bosses 'want to sign Chris Whitty' for 2021 series
- Here's how the NSA decides to tell you about a zero day - or not
- Why the Blockchain Is Just Like Burning Man
- Global Times: US plots ‘industry stifling’ in Xinjiang, this time targets solar energy industry
- Every brand should embrace these 5 lessons in customer loyalty from super group BTS
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS APRIL 16
- Digital Transformation of Higher Education Institutions Is a Global Process, NUST MISIS Rector Says
- Top Performers: Pylon 7-on-7 Orlando
6 colleges turning out open source talent have 302 words, post on www.infoworld.com at May 1, 2016. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.