Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story contained incomplete information regarding the adoption tax credit.If you’ve ever had to write a check to Uncle Sam in April, you’ve likely become a fan of finding ways to cut your tax bill — and that may have you wondering whether you qualify for any tax credits.Tax credits are the gold nuggets of the tax world. Qualifying for one feels better than finding $100 in your pants pocket.Here’s a brief look at how some of the most common ones work — maybe you’ll find some cash here, too.First, be sure you know the difference between a tax deduction and a tax credit. A tax deduction is a dollar amount the IRS allows you to subtract from your adjusted gross income (AGI), making your taxable income lower. The lower your taxable income, the lower your tax bill.That’s pretty great, but tax credits are even better. They’re dollar-for-dollar reductions in your actual tax bill. A few credits are even refundable, which means that if you owe $250 in taxes but qualify for a $1,000 credit, you’ll get a check for $750. Most tax credits, however, aren’t refundable.Either way, a $10,000 tax credit makes a much bigger dent in your tax bill than… Read full this story
- Start the new tax year with your eyes wide open
- Martin Lewis reveals how you can claim back the tax on a PPI payout
- 11 new laws and financial changes taking effect this week
- Your Questions: Is there any financial assistance to help me out as a landlord?
- Erste Group posts record net profit of nearly EUR 1.8 bn in 2018; profit in Romania grows by almost 80 pct
- You need to know about these changes in laws and finances
Tax credits save you more than deductions: Here are the best ones have 293 words, post on www.usatoday.com at March 28, 2017. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.