It’s amazing to see the British finally begin to talk about our feelings. But even as we mark this year’s Mental Health Awareness week, there’s still an elephant in the therapist’s waiting room: alcohol. The physical health risks of drinking are well known. Less discussed are the mental health consequences. These are real and significant, and seem to be getting worse. For instance, the number of people admitted to hospital with alcohol-related behavioural disorders has risen in the last 10 years by 94% for people aged between 15 and 59, and by 150% for people over 60. Alcohol played a key part in my own problems but it took me years to come out of denial about it. I never drank in the morning or in parks, just in a British way, bingeing along with, well, everybody else. I didn’t question it because no one else seemed concerned. Presenting to therapists over the years with anxiety, patterns of self-destructive compulsive behaviour, swinging between thinking I was the most important and the most worthless person on the planet, they barely asked how much I was tipping down my neck. And it was a lot. The more I drank to medicate my… Read full this story
- Does Drinking Alcohol Ruin Muscle Gains?
- Schools fear impact of budget cuts amid girls' mental health crisis
- Schools cutting mental health services to plug funding gaps, warn MPs
- Maxwell will return for BBL 2019-20 season with Melbourne Stars after break for mental health
- Princes William and Harry break mental health taboos for a new generation
- Mediaplanet and Actress Glenn Close Team Up for Mental Health Awareness
- Children’s tsar savages NHS over 'unacceptable' mental health care
- Woman, 27, took her own life after 'no action' was taken on mental health warning signs
- 'All I hear is anger and frustration': how Brexit is affecting our mental health
- Challenges In Veteran Mental Health Care:
I know how alcohol can ruin your mental health. So why is it so rarely discussed? have 306 words, post on www.theguardian.com at May 11, 2017. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.