LONDON: Britain’s Prince Philip, the 95- year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, will step down from carrying out royal engagements later this year, the Buckingham Palace said today. The Duke of Edinburgh will no longer carry out public engagements from September, it said. “In taking this decision, the Duke has the full support of the Queen,” it said in a statement. The palace said the royal will continue to attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, with the monarch and individually. But he will not be accepting any new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may “choose to attend” certain public events from time to time. Prince Philip turns 96 on June 10. He carried out 110 days of engagements last year, making him the fifth busiest royal family member, according to Court Circular listings. He has been by his wife’s side since she took the throne in 1952. They married in 1947 and will celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary in November. “The Duke of Edinburgh is patron, president or a member of over 780 organisations, with which he will continue to be associated, although he will no longer play an active role by attending engagements,” the statement… Read full this story
- Prince Philip, 99, Issues Rare Public Statement Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- UK's Prince Philip breaks silence to recognise 'vital and urgent' work done to tackle coronavirus
- Prince Philip’s cousin says Queen Elizabeth was ‘patient’ and ‘kind’ to ‘very sharp’ mother-in-law
- 'He cowardly took her life and our unborn baby': Grieving husband breaks down as he reveals his nurse wife was pregnant when she was murdered by Canadian gunman who killed 23 during rampage
- Doctors, nurses, porters, volunteers: the UK health workers who have died from Covid-19
Queen Elizabeth's husband Prince Philip to retire from public life have 280 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at May 4, 2017. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.