TUSCALOOSA, AL — Alabama defensive end Da’Shawn Hand — rated the nation’s top overall recruit by Rivals.com out of high school — was arrested on a DUI charge less than a week before the Crimson Tide opens fall camp.
Hand was arrested by campus police Saturday, Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office online records show, and was jailed on $1,000 bond. Further details weren’t immediately available. A university spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for details.
Alabama coach Nick Saban said in a statement he’s still gathering information and will determine appropriate disciplinary action later. (For more information on this and other neighborhood stories, subscribe to Patch to receive daily newsletters and breaking news alerts. If you have an iPhone, click here to get the free Patch iPhone app.)
“This type of behavior is not acceptable and we are disappointed in Da’Shawn’s actions,” Saban said.
Hand is expected to contend for a starting job this season. The 6-foot-4, 288-pound senior has seven career sacks, including two last season.
The Tide opens Sept. 2 against Florida State in a likely matchup of top 5 teams.
Photo credit: Butch Dill/Associated Press
- US Catholic bishop charged in alleged porn cover-up
- Vietnam arrests once-rising political star for wrongdoings at state energy giant
- At least 45 arrests, some injuries in Chicago anti-NATO clashes
- Mogul Kien charged with swindling
- Head of U.S. Air Force's anti-sexual assault unit arrested for sexual battery
- Arrest row punctures US-India love affair
- Putin clans said gridlocked over arrest as sanctions bite
- Vietnam arrests once-rising political star for past wrongdoings at state energy giant
- War crimes court hands DR Congo rebel 14 years' jail
- U.S. WikiLeaks soldier is whistleblower, not traitor: defense
- Pakistan's Khan Charged under Anti-Terror Laws
- Pakistani-American charged over Times Square bomb
- Free of house arrest, Strauss-Kahn takes in New York
- White suspect arrested in killing of nine at black U.S. church
- Hagel confirmed as next US secretary of defense
- IMF chief arrested, quizzed in alleged sex assault
- Vietnamese President orders end to wrongful charge, police abuse
- Indian hand-over demand renews tensions
- Writer files assault charge against Strauss-Kahn
- Traffic police officers charged with taking bribe
Alabama Defensive End Da'Shawn Hand Arrested On DUI Charge have 341 words, post on patch.com at July 30, 2017. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.