By Dina Mishev The Washington Post Fri., April 20, 2018 Locals have dubbed Bend “Beer Town USA” and “Beervana.” There are more than 20 craft breweries in this central Oregon high desert town of 91,000. But man cannot subsist on beer alone, even if it’s some of the best beer in the country. Whether the city’s brewers have set a high bar for quality or because Bend producers and growers benefit from the highest average number of sunny days in the state — 158, with an additional 105 days that are “mostly sunny” — restaurants here innovate and execute far above what you’d expect in a former mill town. Work up your appetite by walking along the Deschutes River, which flows through downtown, hiking a nearby volcano or mountain biking; there are hundreds of kilometres of trails in the area. Try not to stuff yourself with the samples of baked goods that are often out near the pastry case just inside the entrance of McKay Cottage even if you’re here at 9 a.m. on the weekend and there’s a 45-minute wait for a table. You’ll want the room to eat every last bite of Carlton’s Benny ($13.50), which tweaks the… Read full this story
- Trump heads to Iowa same day Biden is there — live updates
- Teenage boy hit by pickup truck in Fort Bend Co.
- Annual holiday season battle begins over nativity scenes
- Report: Buttigieg, Black Lives Matter at Odds After Talks
- At least 2 dead in Fort Bend County shooting
- Crash involving 3 big rigs in Fort Bend County shuts down part of US 59 at Grunwald
- 'Faith calls us to repay hurt with love': Mayor Pete Buttigieg addresses peace walk in South Bend after facing furious criticism over police shooting of a black man
- Canadian Scientists Create First Beer Brewed From Cannabis Ahead of Legalization
- Mayor Pete Buttigieg's South Bend Has Left Some Behind
- Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls not seeking third term
There’s a lively culinary scene brewing in Bend, Ore. have 325 words, post on www.thestar.com at April 20, 2018. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.