By Dina Mishev The Washington Post Fri., April 20, 2018 Locals have dubbed Bend “Beer Town USA” and “Beervana.” There are more than 20 craft breweries in this central Oregon high desert town of 91,000. But man cannot subsist on beer alone, even if it’s some of the best beer in the country. Whether the city’s brewers have set a high bar for quality or because Bend producers and growers benefit from the highest average number of sunny days in the state — 158, with an additional 105 days that are “mostly sunny” — restaurants here innovate and execute far above what you’d expect in a former mill town. Work up your appetite by walking along the Deschutes River, which flows through downtown, hiking a nearby volcano or mountain biking; there are hundreds of kilometres of trails in the area. Try not to stuff yourself with the samples of baked goods that are often out near the pastry case just inside the entrance of McKay Cottage even if you’re here at 9 a.m. on the weekend and there’s a 45-minute wait for a table. You’ll want the room to eat every last bite of Carlton’s Benny ($13.50), which tweaks the… Read full this story
- ‘Saturday Night’ – Live!
- Ian McNulty: After a year of delicious dining, gratitude for those who make our food scene a true food culture
- FMIA, NFL Scouting Combine: Thirty Bits of Buzz From the Scene in Indy
- New Zealand Golf’s gender bending air shot
- Creole chefs, Carnival queens and Hollywood stardust: New Orleans remembers the old Pontchartrain Hotel
- Top 10 food markets in Madrid
- Quentin Tarantino On ‘Once Upon A Time’, His Vision Of ‘Star Trek’ As ‘Pulp Fiction’ In Space, And Hopes To Turn Leo DiCaprio ’50s Western ‘Bounty Law’ Into Series
- ‘You have to think big’: Australian group behind Los Angeles hotspot unveils latest Hollywood plans
- 5 Reasons to Visit Asbury Park, New Jersey (No. 1: You Might Bump into Bruce Springsteen)
- Those behind distillery, cooking school at Gator Cove hope to create cultural destination
There’s a lively culinary scene brewing in Bend, Ore. have 331 words, post on www.thestar.com at April 20, 2018. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.