Chris Hondros | Getty Sustainable Energy As climate change takes hold, researchers are exploring what it will take for communities to adapt. by James Temple May 2, 2018 Heat waves are among the world’s deadliest natural disasters, killing more Americans than hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes combined. And they’re only expected to get worse, as human-caused climate change ratchets up their frequency and intensity. So what can we do to prepare for a future of lethal heat waves?The good news is that both heat spells and cold snaps are fairly predictable, and “extreme temperature early action systems have proven that they can save lives around the world,” notes a report in Environmental Research Letters published on May 1. By analyzing weather forecast models, the researchers found that nearly five billion people inhabit regions where extreme temperatures can be forecast. That at least presents the opportunity for establishing early warning systems and action plans. In the thick of heat waves, responders can provide drinking water, set up cooling shelters, and check in on vulnerable citizens, particularly the elderly, the study says. “We have the ability to prevent a lot of suffering, illness, and death from heat waves and cold waves around the… Read full this story
- Europe boils in record-setting heat wave
- How is the heat wave in Europe affecting travel?
- Germany swelters in record-breaking Europe heat wave
- "Dangerous" heat wave bakes much of the US
- Heat wave to raise Bay Area temperatures into triple digits
- Nearly 200 Million Across US Facing ‘Dangerous Summer Heat Wave’ (Photos, Videos)
- Heat Wave Temperatures Make It Tougher to Do the Right Thing
- Calls for farm support intensify as Europe struggles with heat wave, drought
- Notre Dame de Paris’ Vaulted Roof ‘Could Very Well’ Collapse Amid Paris Heat Wave
- NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio Preparing City for Marijuana Legalization, Instructs NYPD to Halt Arrests
How to prepare cities and citizens for more killer heat waves have 300 words, post on www.technologyreview.com at May 2, 2018. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.