President Donald Trump has suggested in his defence of embattled Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh that the #MeToo movement was “very dangerous” and unfairly threatened an entire class of powerful men. Mr Trump’s expansive argument cast doubt on the credibility not only of the three women who have accused Mr Kavanaugh of sexual assault, but also on scores of other women who have claimed sexual abuse by prominent men, including the president himself. In his rush to rescue Mr Kavanaugh’s nomination, President Trump effectively sought to draw a line in the sand against the growing number of allegations against authority figures in politics, the media and business – including many, Mr Trump acknowledged, who have been his friends. “When you are guilty until proven innocent, it’s just not supposed to be that way,” Mr Trump told reporters. “That’s a very dangerous standard for the country.” During an 81-minute news conference on Wednesday in New York, President Trump was asked whether the allegations of sexual assault or harassment brought against him by more than a dozen women – claims he denies – influenced his thinking about Mr Kavanaugh’s accusers. “Absolutely,” President Trump said. “I’ve had a lot of false charges made against me, really false charges,” he added. “I know… Read full this story
- House Democrats dismiss idea of impeaching Kavanaugh
- White House orders two former aides to defy House subpoenas
- How a White House bid to intervene on a vacant judgeship failed
- Newsletter: Claims of a White House cover-up
- POLITICO Playbook: Who in the White House will take the fall
- White House keeps Republicans in suspense over guns
- White House infighting thwarts movement on guns
- What happened at Donald Trump’s inauguration and when will the new President move into the White House?
- The Donald gets standing ovation as he accepts Republican nomination in race for White House
- US spooks claim Russia has launched a ‘covert operation’ to cause chaos during race for the White House
White House in 'red alert crisis' as Trump defends Kavanaugh and laments #MeToo have 321 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at September 27, 2018. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.