The Detroit News Published 11:30 PM EDT Oct 6, 2018 Republican U.S. Senate contender John James is trailing by double digits in the polls, but it hasn’t stopped President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence from seeking to bolster the political novice’s fortunes. James was hosted at the White House by Trump in mid-September and the president shared the moment on Twitter. Pence had his second fundraiser last month in Washington, D.C., for the 37-year-old Farmington Hills businessman and military veteran, whom Republicans hope can defeat longtime Democratic U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow of Lansing in November. Since a Sept. 30-Oct. 2 Detroit News-WDIV poll found James trailing Stabenow 53 percent to 35 percent with about 10 percent of voters undecided, experts wonder why Trump and Pence would devote their energies to the former Apache helicopter pilot when other Republican Senate races are more competitive. “I really don’t understand it. In terms of the 2018 Senate races, there are lots of other races where (Trump) potentially would be more useful,” said Kyle Kondik, managing editor of Sabato’s Crystal Ball at the University of Virginia Center for Politics, where he follows congressional races. “I also don’t think that the folks involved on the Republican side of Senate races, I don’t think they’re… Read full this story
- Victor Ashe: Did Trump try to 'appoint' Blackburn senator? Bredesen glad not to find out
- Does Trump Write All His Tweets? Senator Wants to Know Amid White House Leaks
- '60 Minutes' anchor says Trump trying to make sure 'no one will believe' negative stories
- Automakers Asking Trump For Compromise In Fuel Economy Fight
- CNN's Don Lemon: Trump trying to ‘save his presidency’ by lying about FBI informant
- Trump-backed congressman wins Ohio Senate primary
- Trump records robocall for Pennsylvania senate candidate ahead of primary
- Trump-backed congressman wins GOP Senate primary in Pa.
- Trump to boost request for border wall funding by half-billion dollars
- Trump Reportedly Not Invited to Senator McCain’s Funeral
Why Trump is trying to boost James in uphill Senate fight with Stabenow have 332 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at September 26, 2018. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.