The French are not the most renowned for their mastery of the language of Shakespeare, Beckham and Harry Potter and a new international ranking confirms their place near the wrong end of the rankings. The English Proficiency Index (EPI) from global language training company Education First (EF) ranked Sweden top out of 88 countries which don’t have English as a national language, based on test results taken by natives in each country. Down in 35th place came France, placed in the “moderate competency” group of countries and behind all other countries in western Europe. In fact in Europe as a whole only Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Albania, Turkey and Azerbaijan were ranked lower than the French. When it comes to the level of English in big cities around the world Paris was ranked 25th, behind the likes of Shanghai, Buenos Aires, Seoul and Sofia. Within France, Paris was the city where the natives demonstrated the best level of English, just ahead of Lille and Lyon. At the bottom of the ranking for French cites came Nice and Marseille. The French region that ranked as having the best English level was Pays-de-la-Loire in the west of the country – ahead of the Greater… Read full this story
- IS ranks pared to lowest level since 2014
- French forces kill Charlie Hebdo gunmen, end terror rampage
- Mais non! French universities may teach in English
- 2 French girls investigated as would-be jihadi
- Why did capitalist imperial domination arise in Europe and not in Asia?
- Tokyo courts Europe amid tensions with Russia
- Europe considers a new trading status for China
- These are the 22 best cities in Europe for students
- 700K migrants reach Europe
- NATO is planning its largest military build-up in eastern Europe since the Cold War
French ranked worst in western Europe for level of English have 296 words, post on www.thelocal.fr at November 2, 2018. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.