Kirkland Crawford Detroit Free Press
Published 7:31 AM EST Nov 22, 2018
Saturday marks the 115th meeting between Michigan and Ohio State in football. One of the great rivalries in sports has been highlighted by memorable contests.
The 2016 double-overtime game. No. 1 vs. No. 2 in 2006. The Desmond Howard Heisman pose. The tie in 1973, as a part of the Ten-Year War.
Perhaps the first great game in this series was barely a game at all. That’s because it would hard to classify the 1950 game in Columbus as two teams playing football.
The “Snow Bowl” was played in blizzard conditions. It was 10 degrees, with a 30-mph. wind and snow falling at about two inches per hour. U-M didn’t want to play the game but Ohio State insisted, and so they did, as some 50,000 people tried to watch and survive at the same time.
With help from the footage courtesy of Ohio State, Free Press executive video producer Brian Kaufman put together a 7-minute “highlight” reel of Michigan’s 9-3 win that put them in the Rose Bowl.
Interesting fact: You’ll see a couple of blocked punts recovered by the opponents. For Ohio State, Bob Momsen recovered, setting up their lone field goal. For U-M, Momsen’s brother, Tony, blocked and recovered the punt in the end zone for the game’s lone touchdown.
- Ohio State football elevates to scary level all by itself
- Ohio State, Georgia tied at No. 3 in AP Top 25
- AP college football poll: Ohio State, Georgia tied at No. 3; Florida to 7th
- Ohio State-Michigan State: Spartans boast stout defense, mobile QB
- Michigan State at Ohio State: What you need to know about Saturday’s game
- Ohio State-Michigan State: Buckeyes ride huge second quarter to double-digit victory
- 5 takeaways from Ohio State’s 34-10 win over Michigan State
- Ohio State fans, players trying to move past Urban Meyer saga, beat Oregon State 77-31
- Ohio State football: Justin Fields, Buckeyes happy for test and rest after taking care of business against Michigan State
- K.J. Hill passes Cris Carter in Ohio State Buckeyes record book