There’s a sandwich on the outskirts of Irmo with my name on it.Or at least that’s what I assume: About 15 minutes after I recently ordered a cheesesteak to go, there still wasn’t a sandwich ready, so I left. Clearly a restaurant that takes that long to produce lunch isn’t an ideal road trip stop. And my mission was to find the best place to eat at every Interstate 26 exit.I’d taken up the project at the suggestion of a reader, who wondered about the homegrown alternatives to the chain restaurants I reviewed earlier this year. While there are still swathes of the country where chain restaurants are the only choice for highway travelers, it seemed well worth digging into what else South Carolina has to offer.As I discovered, you don’t have to stray far from the interstate to find distinctly regional tastes. As my list of recommended restaurants came together, it quickly took on the contours of a state culinary portrait. Barbecue was well-represented, as were fried seafood and slaw dogs. Newer elements of South Carolina’s cuisine popped up, too, with a number of immigrant-owned restaurants making the cut.Along the way, I ate some marvelous meals. But it’s important… Read full this story
- US Covid cases pass 26 MILLION as South African mutation spreads to second state
- 'Major' severe storm outbreak with 'long-track, intense tornados' forecast for US south
- Missing North Carolina Teen Found by Police in Arkansas — Suspect Dead
- The Redneck Guide To Emergency Preparedness
- Biden gets double bump as Klobuchar, Buttigieg exit before Super Tuesday
- Fan Guide To Ford Field, Home of the Detroit Lions
- 'Hold or exit from these stocks?'
- As Trump steps back in the spotlight, will Cuomo exit stage left?
- Booster jab by autumn: Second vaccine dose that will help tackle the South African variant of Covid-19 could be available later this year as experts work to tweak the Oxford vaccine after research showed it has 'minimal' effect on the mutant strain
- Simpson grabs lead, Watney exits with COVID-19 at Harbour Town
An exit-by-exit guide to eating along Interstate 26 in South Carolina have 340 words, post on www.postandcourier.com at December 5, 2018. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.