A powerful blast ripped through a restaurant in northern Japan late on Sunday (Dec 16), injuring 42 people, starting fires that took hours to bring under control and leading several neighbouring buildings to collapse.
|Firefighters work at the scene after an explosion at a restaurant in Sapporo, in the northern Hokkaido prefecture. (AFP/JIJI PRESS)|
Images from the scene showed large flames and plumes of smoke rising in the night air after the blast in the city of Sapporo.
The cause of the blast was still under investigation, police said. One witness reportedly said he had smelled gas after the explosion.
A police official for the Hokkaido region told AFP “there are 42 injuries” but no one was killed. The Jiji Press agency said one of the injured was seriously hurt, suffering burns to his face, but none of the victims had life-threatening wounds.
Several children were reportedly among those hurt in the explosion, which hit in the city’s Toyohira district.
The building that housed the restaurant was heavily damaged, as were other nearby businesses, including a real estate company, Jiji said.
National broadcaster NHK said it took firefighters several hours to extinguish the flames, with dozens of vehicles mobilised to deal with the accident.
Police had initially warned of the possibility of secondary explosions, according to Kyodo, which described buildings collapsing following the incident around 8.30pm (7.30pm Singapore time).
The city government had opened a shelter to house dozens of people whose homes were damaged in the blast.
“I heard a ‘bang’, which sounded like thunder, and my condo was shaken,” a man in his 50s who lived nearby told The Japan Times.
Other witnesses shared photos and videos of the incident on Twitter, showing the burning building and thick black smoke.
- Worker injured in Geneva building collapse files suit
- 1 dead, 6 injured after building collapse in Nigeria capital
- Hartford partial building collapse cleanup work to finish Tuesday
- MBTA: Building collapses in Quincy
- Red Hook building collapses, killing man and daughter in 1977
- Two staff members dead after explosion at Minneapolis private school that caused partial collapse
- Rescuers scramble to save woman trapped in Sri Lanka building collapse
- Explosion at bagel store blows out building doors, windows
- Woman awarded $95.6 million in Philadelphia building collapse settlement
- Mumbai building collapse kills at least eight, many feared trapped