What you need to know: British Prime Minister Theresa May’s government survived a no-confidence vote in the House of Commons on Wednesday, in a narrow vote of 325 to 306. The vote followed party lines. Conservatives and the DUP supported May; Labour, the Liberal Democrats, the Scottish National Party and others opposed her government. May later pledged to identify and pursue a way forward ”that can secure the backing of the House.” The vote comes a day after British lawmakers rejected a draft divorce deal to leave the European Union by a margin of more than 200. May now has until Monday to present her plan on how to proceed and convince skeptical MPs. Refresh the page for live updates. All updates in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) 22:00 In a short speech outside 10 Downing Street in London, May said the victory in the confidence vote “is now an opportunity to find a way forward on Brexit.” She acknowledged that the “last 24 hours have been unsettling for the public,” but added that she believes it is her duty to deliver Brexit and that she “intends to do so.” May also said she has met with the leaders of the Liberal Democrats,… Read full this story
- Brexit indicative votes round 2: what happened and what next?
- If Labour supports a public vote, we’ll take no lectures from Tories about democracy
- People's Vote march ‘too big to ignore’, organisers warn MPs
- People's Vote march: 200 coaches heading to London, organisers say
- Brexit: how a fringe idea took hold of the Tory party
- Michael Gove and five other cabinet members break ranks with PM over EU
- The People’s Vote campaign has run aground – but it has one last chance
- Brexit: a disaster decades in the making
- People’s Vote campaign targets 100 marginals in case of snap election
- The People’s Vote campaign is about Brexit, not patching up broken parties
British PM Theresa May survives no-confidence vote after Brexit deal defeat — as it happened have 305 words, post on www.dw.com at January 16, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.