The USGS is now back to work after the partial government shutdown, with Yellowstone’s “2018 year in review” noting an unusual activity among the national park’s geysers last year. In the Yellowstone Caldera Chronicles, USGS Volcano Observatory geophysicist Michael Poland has revealed that geysers became “the story of 2018”, with the world’s tallest active geyser, Steamboat, having a record-setting number of eruptions. Although the gap between Steamboat spewing out hot water can sometimes last years, in 2018 it erupted 32 times, beating the 1964 record of 29 eruptions. Apart from the 1960s, a past period of unusually high activity occurred in the 1980s, according to the USGS. The eruptions began in March 2018, and after two additional outbursts scientists began to keep the geyser under closer observation, deploying sensors around it. This shed light on its plumbing system and eruptive patterns “in unprecedented detail”, the review reads. READ MORE: Eruptions of World’s Biggest Active Geyser at Yellowstone Puzzle Scientists Other geysers in Yellowstone were also notably active, including Giant Geyser in the Upper Geyser Basin, with 29 eruptions, and a rare ejection of Ear Spring in the Upper Geyser Basin, which happened in September, which spewed rubbish like coins and a baby pacifier along with the thermal water. The geophysicist noted that reasons for the irregularity in geyser activity remain a mystery, saying that it could be due to subsurface water levels, as the national park… Read full this story
- Yet another Communist cover-up: Two WHO scientists are turned back by China over 'positive antibody test' as team arrives in Wuhan to probe Covid's origins - but they will NOT visit virus lab and WILL investigate wet market discredited as 'source'
- 2020 Was the One of the Hottest Years on Record
- Monster black hole spews energy as regularly as Yellowstone's 'Old Faithful'
- Calls for calm over Pfizer vaccine roll-out after two NHS staff suffer 'anaphylactoid reaction': Scientists urge public not to panic after regulators warn people with history of 'significant' allergies NOT to have jab
- Loch Ness mystery solved? Scientist says Nessie is ancient sea TURTLE ‘trapped’ in lake
- Don't you know there's a pandemic on? NHS chief likens breaking rules to 'turning your light on during the Blitz' as Priti Patel announces £800 fines for partygoers
- Britain faces even MORE super-Covid variants: Global surge of cases is fueling more chances for the virus to mutate to beat immune system and vaccines, scientists warn
- Deaths AND cases drop again with 501 victims and 22,915 infections as scientists clash over Christmas restrictions - with one warning holiday visits could lead to you 'burying your loved ones in January'
- Mass-testing study that claims lockdown 3.0 isn't working does NOT prove coronavirus infections are rising because it missed the peak of the second wave over Christmas, scientists say
- Staring at your smartphone or tablet screen when you should be sleeping could be making you DEPRESSED, scientists claim
Yellowstone: Record-Breaking Geyser Activity is MYSTERY for Scientists have 467 words, post on sputniknews.com at January 29, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.