by Brigid Bergin, WNYC in News on Feb 26, 2019 10:03 am A polling site in Crown Heights during the 2018 midterm election (Scott Heins / Gothamist) The New York City Board of Elections must allow language interpreters hired by the city to be stationed inside poll sites to assist voters with limited English skills, according to court rulings in State Supreme and Appellate Court on Monday. The rulings apply to Tuesday’s special election for Public Advocate.part of a lawsuit filed against the city on Friday, the Board was seeking a temporary restraining order preventing the city’s interpreters from being within 100 feet of a poll site. The Board alleges the city’s interpreter program violates state and federal election law. Under the federal Voting Rights Act, the Board is required to provide language assistance in Spanish, Chinese, Korean and Bengali at certain poll sites. The city hired additional interpreters to provide assistance in Russian, Haitian Creole, Yiddish and Polish at 48 poll sites in Brooklyn and Queens. The Board wanted the city-hired interpreters to remain outside, relying on the section of state election law that bars electioneering within 100 feet of the polling place. Additionally, the Board argued it is… Read full this story
- Should You Add A Forum To Your Site?
- The Supreme Court: Past, Present and Future
- Incorporating LSI Into Your Web Site Marketing Strategies
- Interpreting the Midterm Elections
- The Truth Looms Over The Next Election
- Private Interpretation - Second of Series of Six Articles on Fundamental Roman Catholicism
- Justices seem likely to uphold Puerto Rico oversight board
- Court Reporting - 8 Things To Look For When Choosing A Court Reporting Service
- What Does LIAR Stand For And How Will It Affect The 2008 Presidential Elections?
- Getting To Know The Backgammon Setup And Rules
Courts Rule Board Of Elections Must Allow Interpreters At Poll Sites have 283 words, post on gothamist.com at February 26, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.