Detroit News staff and wires
Published 4:26 PM EST Feb 8, 2019
Miami – Former Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell has been hired by new Dolphins coach Brian Flores as assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach.
Caldwell was among 16 members of Flores’ staff announced Friday. The group includes new offensive coordinator Chad O’Shea and defensive coordinator Patrick Graham, both former Patriots assistants.
Caldwell has 17 years of NFL coaching experience. In his seven seasons as head coach of the Colts (2009-11) and Lions (2014-17), he led teams to four playoff berths.
Caldwell’s record with the Lions was 36-28 in the regular season, and 0-2 in the playoffs. Caldwell was fired by the Lions after a 9-7 finish in 2017.
Caldwell also won two Super Bowls as an assistant coach with the Colts and Ravens.
More: Lions mailbag, Part 2: RB options, Quinn’s big year, Hicks’ assets
More: Lions planning to scout AAF, which kicks off Saturday night
“Jim is an incredible human being, a man of faith and a great football coach,” Flores said in a statement. “His experience as a head coach will be invaluable for me. Jim is a great teacher, highly organized and somebody that I have a lot of respect for.”
Flores joined the Patriots in 2004 and was the defensive play-caller for this season’s Super Bowl championship team. He became the Dolphins’ coach on Monday.
Also joining Flores’ staff are Danny Crossman as special teams coordinator, Josh Boyer as defensive pass game coordinator and cornerbacks coach, Karl Dorrell as receivers coach, Pat Flaherty as offensive line coach, George Godsey as tight ends coach, Marion Hobby as defensive line coach, Rob Leonard as linebackers coach, Tony Oden as safeties coach, Jerry Schuplinski as assistant quarterbacks coach and Eric Studesville as running backs coach.
Godsey coached the Lions’ quarterbacks in 2018.
O’Shea, Boyer and Schuplinski worked for the Patriots this past season.
Flores hired three quality control coaches – Josh Grizzard, Matt Lombardi and Tiquan Underwood. Oden, Studesville and Grizzard were retained from Adam Gase’s 2018 Miami staff.
- Warren Gatland named Lions coach for third time
- Gatland could be British and Irish Lions coach again in 2021
- Fighting in the stands at Miami Dolphins game
- Top Coach, Jim McKay Leads Brisbane City
- Gatland named Lions coach for 2021 South Africa tour
- The leading candidates to be Warren Gatland's new Lions captain
- Brown scores in Pats debut as NFL champs thump Dolphins
- 2020 Democrats start two nights of debates in Detroit
- Dolphins legend Buoniconti dies at 78
- Lions waive Roberts after trade with Patriots falls through