THE Northern Lights are set to be visible in the UK tonight after scattered showers and clouds clear throughout the day.
Met Office forecasters have warned that it would be colder than Friday, with some frost expected in northern England.
There is also expected to be scattered showers and gales in northern and western Scotland.
But most of the country looks “dry overnight with clear spells”, creating the perfect conditions to see the astonishing Aurora Borealis in Scotland.
Met Office scientists say the spectacular light display might be spotted in the UK because of a powerful space storm flaring up on the surface of the sun.
The Northern Lights are caused by collisions between charged particles from the sun and gaseous particles in the earth’s atmosphere.
Electrons and protons are blown over to the Earth on solar winds — and measuring sunspot activity allows scientists to predict when the auroras will be strongest.
And it looks like this weekend will be particularly bright.
A spokesperson for The Met Office Space Weather Operations Centre said: “[Coronal Mass Ejection] forecast to arrive late 23rd March following C5 flare from sunspot AR2736.
“Active-minor geomagnetic storm periods possible with low risk of moderate storms.
“As a result, aurora may be visible in Scotland where cloud breaks.”
Forecasts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in the US show the strongest storms will be between 3-9pm on Saturday night.
That will be when you’re most likely to spot the Northern Lights.
Make sure to check in with the latest weather forecasts to see which parts of Scotland are free of cloud and rain during that period.
It’s also advisable to get away from large, built-up areas as light pollution can spoil the spectacle.
The rest of Britain can look forward to a cool but sunny day tomorrow.
But the temperature is set to plummet on Saturday evening, with -2C forecast in Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland and even parts of England struggling to get above freezing.
And the worst of the wintry weather will blow across Britain over the weekend.
Be in control of your bills – and save an average of £219
SWITCHCRAFT is a free service that finds you the right energy deal – and you could save an average of £219 a year.
- Sign up, compare and switch with Switchcraft
- You’ll automatically be switched at the end of your new plan when a cheaper deal comes up
- Get £5 free cashback when you sign up
A fiver will be paid into your bank account within four months of completing the switch. prepayment meter customer customers will receive a £5 Amazon voucher. Open to those 18 and over. UK residents only. Click here for full T&Cs.
Mr McGivern added: “Elsewhere a lot of fine weather to come. A dry day, plenty of sunshine but it will feel colder and it will feel particularly cold on Sunday morning.
“A frost in place under those clear skies, particularly for northern Ireland, southern Scotland and central parts of England and Wales.”
Body found in search for missing student, 16, who vanished in November
Kate Middleton has fall-out with glam friend and tells Wills to ‘phase her out’
Boy, 2, battered into vegetative state where all he can feel is pain
‘HE’S NO VICTIM’
Come Dine With Me winner says boy, 15, she had sex with ‘wanted it’
Thug kicks elderly woman in the face as bystanders film instead of helping
“There will be some lingering cloud across southern counties of England first thing Sunday but we soon say goodbye to that because England and Wales it’s simply a sunny Sunday.
“But for Scotland and Northern Ireland, cloudier skies and some heavy rainfall moving through first thing Sunday.
“Followed by sunny spells, scattered showers and that brisk wind.”
- UK weather forecast: Snow, rain and sleet as 2020 ends with bitter -5C cold snap
- UK weather forecast: More snow to blanket Britain in New Year’s Day blast & -10C Beast From The East could hit next week
- UK weather forecast: Met Office ice warnings with 'Beast from the East' to hit in days
- UK weather forecast: Latest warnings for snow and ice as Brits shiver in -7C blast
- UK weather forecast: More snow as -12C freeze to hit TONIGHT and ‘Beast from the East II’ circles
- UK weather – More SNOW and ice warnings with six inches to fall in just 48 hours before New Year
- UK weather: Beast from the East snowstorm warning after coldest night in 2 years
- UK weather – ‘Severe’ snow in North and flurries to reach south coast in -12C POLAR PLUNGE
- UK weather: Warning some towns could be ‘cut off’ with snow to blanket ice-ravaged Britain this weekend
- UK weather – Beast from the East set to return ‘to bury UK in snow’ and bring -10C freeze
- UK weather: Today could be hottest EVER December day with temperatures warmer than Malibu beach
- UK weather: Met Office issues warnings as more snow forecast and temperatures plunge
- UK weather: Met Office issues warning as snow and ice forecast this weekend
- UK weather – Britain set for more snow with Met Office weather warnings until New Year as blizzards spark travel chaos
- UK weather: Warnings of more heavy snow this week with up to 15cm set to fall in some parts
- UK weather: Warnings for snow and ice as conditions set to get more unsettled towards end of the week
- UK weather: Snow showers and freezing fog set to hit UK
- UK weather: Snow and ice warnings as one final wintry blast in store before new year
- UK weather – Britain braces for more ice and freezing fog with -7C PLUNGE after coldest night of winter
- UK weather: Snow to bring 'greatest weather threat in 10 years' with -15C icy blast
UK weather forecast – Northern Lights could be visible TONIGHT once cloud and showers clear have 1012 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 23, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.