Updated at 6:30 p.m. ET
Updated at 6:30 p.m. ET
Tiger Woods claimed he had not yet thought about his chances of surpassing Jack Nicklaus’ record haul of major titles, after moving to within three of the ‘Golden Bear’ with victory at the 2019 Masters.
Almost 11 years on from his 14th major win, Woods sensationally added to his tally with a one-shot triumph at Augusta National, completing an improbable comeback from career-threatening injuries.
Woods is now only three shy of Nicklaus when it comes to major wins, the latter’s record of 18 coming back into focus once more.
“You know, I really haven’t thought about that yet,” said Woods, 43, in a news conference.
“I’m sure that I’ll probably think of it going down the road. Maybe, maybe not. But right now, it’s a little soon, and I’m just enjoying 15.”
In a phone call to the Golf Channel, Nicklaus joked that Woods had “got me shaking in my boots,” as he pointed out the fact the next two major championships will take place at courses where Woods has previously won the U.S. Open.
“I felt for a long time he was going to win again,” said Nicklaus, who famously won the Masters for a sixth time at the age of 46 in 1986.
“And, you know, the next two majors are at Bethpage, where he’s won, and Pebble Beach, where he’s won.
“So, you know, he’s got me shaking in my boots, guys.”
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) April 14, 2019
Woods trailed overnight leader Francesco Molinari for much of the final round, but seized his chance after the Italian found water at 12 en route to a double bogey.
Nicklaus added: “There wasn’t any question in my mind. After seeing Molinari hit the ball in the water at 12, and Tiger put it on the green. I said, ‘tournament’s over.’ It doesn’t make any difference what anyone else is going to do. Somebody is going to make enough mistakes, and Tiger won’t make any, and he didn’t.”
While Nicklaus said he was certain of a Woods victory from the 12th hole, the outcome certainly did not appear certain as five players shared the lead with the final group coming down the 15th.
“There were so many guys that had a chance to win. The leaderboard was absolutely packed and everyone was playing well,” acknowledged Woods.
The champion prompted laughter as he concluded: “You couldn’t have had more drama than we all had out there, and now I know why I’m balding. This stuff is hard.”
- Emmerdale’s Claire King says ‘I’m glad I don’t have to do sex scenes… I’m 58 and have got fat rolls’
- Rabalais: LSU boots Arkansas for a much-needed win and a lot to build on -- even defense
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - House boots Greene from committees; Senate plows ahead on budget
- EU agrees to 'reset' its relations with Northern Ireland as Michael Gove says the bloc has accepted it 'made a mistake' with plan for border controls to stop Covid vaccine getting to Britain
- Length of driver set to be limited to 46 inches in new R&A distance proposals
- Paul McGinley: What Rory McIlroy must do to win frequently again
- Golfer—and UNICEF USA Supporter—Does U-turn on Playing in Saudi Arabia | Opinion
- Acer Swift 3X review: Intel’s Xe Max graphics make a surprising debut
- Are the Hedge Funds as Evil as Ever After GameStop? | Opinion
- FMIA: On The Mack Mistake And Why Super Bowl 53 Will Be Rams-Patriots
- Bangladesh v England - day two as it happened
- Blizzards bring Britain to a HALT: Heavy snow shuts vaccine hubs, stops bin collections, cancels buses, blocks roads and rails as police even BAN sledging... and experts fear NEW 'Beast from East' in on its way
- Marilyn Manson’s most controversial moments from ‘urinating’ on crowd to covering deaf groupie in hot dogs
- 'Analogue criminals operating in a digital world': Bumbling villains aged 442 were snared by 21st century police surveillance after £24million Hatton Garden heist
- UFC 257 – Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier 2 LIVE REACTION: McGregor suspended for SIX MONTHS, Fight Island updates
- Transfer Deadline Day LIVE: Costa to Premier League, Davis to Liverpool CONFIRMED, Josh King to Fulham – latest updates
- FMIA—Driving The 101 With Sean McVay: On Texting Belichick, Trusting Goff and the Plan for Super Bowl 53
- Kellyanne Conway Is the Real First Lady of Trump’s America
- David Mansfield on His Years With Bob Dylan, Bruce Hornsby, Johnny Cash, and Sting
- EXCLUSIVE: TOWIE star Mario Falcone is caught out living it up in Dubai with fiancée Becky Miesner... while posting old photos on Instagram from Essex after Priti blasted influencers
Tiger Woods not thinking about 18 as Jack Nicklaus says: 'I'm shaking in my boots' have 812 words, post on www.sportingnews.com at April 14, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.