By Joe Nelson | [email protected] | San Bernardino SunPUBLISHED: April 10, 2019 at 4:24 pm | UPDATED: April 10, 2019 at 4:43 pm A Muslim civil rights and advocacy group on Wednesday called for the resignation of Yucaipa Mayor Bobby Duncan after learning of a litany of posts on his Facebook wall attacking Muslims and undocumented Latino immigrants. “It is extremely alarming that this Islamophobic, bigoted material would be found on the Facebook wall belonging to an elected official. This man was elected to be a public servant, but instead he is demonizing members of his constituency,” said Hussam Ayloush, executive director of the Council on Islamic-American Relations’ (CAIR) Los Angeles office, in a news release. “The current trend of normalizing hate speech in the Trump era — especially from people in leadership positions — has emboldened bigots in their speech, as well as their actions.” Duncan, who has served on the Yucaipa City Council since 2012 and was appointed mayor in December, peppered his Facebook wall with memes and messages promoting his Christian beliefs but carrying anti-Islamic and anti-undocumented immigrant messages. Among them: “Stop all welfare to illegal aliens and they’ll deport themselves” “Islamophobic: A bulls— term invented to… Read full this story
- 'Weaponized' Facebook fails to protect civil rights, audit says
- NY Officials Apologize for ‘White Lives Matter’ Posts
- 'They didn't even see me as human': Black activist recounts how a group of white men attacked him and allegedly threatened to 'get a noose' at a lake in Indiana as FBI launches investigation
- Private Facebook groups are using 'Justice for George Floyd' as a cloak for racist behavior
- Nick Cannon apologizes for being anti-Semitic but NOT for calling white people 'evil, rapists and savages' - as black stars back him and Charlamagne Tha God says ViacomCBS firing proves 'Jews have the power'
- Endicott officials apologize over ‘White Lives Matter’ posts
- Nick Cannon apologizes to Jewish community for hurtful words
- Tucker Carlson's chief writer resigns over racist and sexist posts, the latest trouble for Fox's most controversial star
- Muslim woman says gun range ordered her to remove hijab
- Facebook ban on white nationalism too narrow, say auditors
Yucaipa mayor apologizes over offensive Facebook posts, but Muslim advocacy group demands resignation have 340 words, post on www.ocregister.com at April 10, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.