The girl was safely recovered by Fort Worth, Texas, police just after 2 a.m. local time Sunday, according to police. She was found safe and a suspect in the kidnapping has been taken into custody.
Police thanked the media for publicizing the incident and concerned citizens for directing them to the location of the suspect’s vehicle.
Fort Worth Police Department Officer Buddy Calzada said at a press conference early Sunday that two citizens spotted the car at a local hotel and called police. Officers responded, found out what room he was staying in and breached the door.
The victim was found in good condition, but was taken to a local hospital to be checked out.
Late Sunday morning, police identified the suspect as Michael Webb, who is 51 years old. He was charged with aggravated kidnapping, which is a first-degree felony.
Police said Webb was not related to the mother or her daughter.
An Amber Alert was issued for the 8-year-old after she was kidnapped on Saturday afternoon, police said.
The girl and her mother were walking in their neighborhood at 6:38 p.m. local time when Webb allegedly man drove up and dragged her into his car, according to Fort Worth police.
Surveillance video from a nearby house shows her mother tumbling to the ground after trying to pull her daughter free from the vehicle. The car drove off and she immediately called 911 while running back to her house.
Her mother can be heard screaming, “Help me please, someone call the police, my daughter just got kidnapped.”
Police released a photo of the vehicle taken from a nearby camera. It is a gray, four-door sedan with alloy wheels and a paper tag.
Calzada said members of the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Public Safety helped in the search.
ABC News’ Abby Shalawylo and Matt Fuhrman contributed to this report.
- Two-year-old girl dies in hospital after she was found injured at house as man, 26, is arrested on suspicion of murder
- Vigilantes 'threatened to kill suspect accused of kidnapping and raping 13-year-old girl'
- Mother and her four-year-old daughter are kidnapped and gang-raped for two weeks after attackers lured her with promise of work at a hospital in Pakistan
- 5-Year-Old Girl Shot Multiple Times In North Philadelphia, Police Say
- Albanian woman, 30, pleads guilty to stabbing seven-year-old girl to death in front of her horrified solicitor mum on Mother's Day in 'random' attack - but denies murder
- Mumbai Police arrest four for kidnapping, selling, buying one-year-old girl from Charkop
- Sex Offender Arrested For Attempted Rape Of 10-Year-Old Girl At San Mateo Laundromat
- Man wanted for the rape and murder of a nine-year-old girl is beaten to death by a mob of 500 angry residents in Argentina
- Police Seek Person Of Interest In Shooting Death Of 16-Year-Old Girl
- Hong Kong shocked by violent police arrest of 12-year-old girl
- Minor sexually assaults six-year-old girl in East Godavari
- 'Paedophile' is snared by vigilantes after sending lewd Facebook messages and pictures to '13-year-old girl' for three months
- ‘Sicko used fake Snapchat profile to lure 13-year-old girl for sex’
- Co-founder of Salt Life brand charged in Florida in 18-year-old girl's shooting death
- Hyderabad rains: Six-year-old girl dies as wall collapses on her
- 13-year-old molested by two youths
- 4-Year-Old Shot, Man Killed In North Philadelphia Double Shooting, Police Say
- Christian girl, 13, who was kidnapped by 44-year-old man in Pakistan and forced to convert to Islam and marry him is rescued by cops following public outcry
- Honduran boy, 13, and his 9-year-old sister are found on small island between Mexico and the U.S. by CBP agents after being abandoned by human smugglers
- Four-year-old who suffered horrific burns on her face and body in a freak farming accident that MELTED her skin will now have to undergo TEN YEARS of costly reconstructive surgeries
Texas police find 8-year-old girl safe after she was kidnapped walking down the street with her mother have 669 words, post on abcnews.go.com at May 19, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.