PUBLISHED: 17:45 21 May 2019 James Carr Paul Clement, chief executive of Ipswich Central Archant Ipswich town centre must adapt to the changing world in order to survive, a business leader has warned. The closure of Ipswich’s Cotswold Outdoor has been confirmed. Photo: Archant.A wave of store closure announcements has hit the town in recent weeks and Ipswich Central chief executive Paul Clement says the traditional high street model no longer works. “What is going on is a crisis on the high street”, he said, “It’s affecting a lot of large retailers, many of which have been around for decades.”This month alone has seen four retailers announce they will be closing down. MORE: Closure of another Ipswich store confirmed Riley & Riley Jewellers in Buttermarket, Trespass in Westgate Street, Ohh Deer in Thoroughfare and Cotswold Outdoors in Tavern Street will all be leaving the town. In addition the long term future of stores such as Select and Peacocks remain unclear, due to financial difficulties and rent negotiations.Ipswich Central represents the interests of shops and businesses in the town centre. You may also want to watch: Mr Clement explained the new problems facing these businesses, such as declining footfall and the… Read full this story
- Falling profits at John Lewis and Next stoke high street fears
- Large high street chains shut 6,000 shops amid soaring rates bills
- 'So much for Harrods of the high street!' Shoppers complain House of Fraser 'looks like a branch of Sports Direct' following £90m takeover by 'tracksuit tycoon' Mike Ashley
- Shop closures hit record levels as rescue deals hurt high streets
- Chain store closures have stripped UK high streets of more than 1,000 shops over past two years
- Farage calls for 50,000 migration cap as he launches Brexit Party ‘contract’ including £200bn on NHS and High Streets
- Financial crisis: 25 people at the heart of the meltdown – where are they now?
- Financial crisis, five years on: trust in banking hits new low
- SF high school students fan out into tech, City Hall internships
- ASX expected to open higher after Wall Street rebounds from bloodbath on German hopes
'There is a crisis on the high street' have 354 words, post on www.eadt.co.uk at May 20, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.