Mahershala Ali made the first move with Marvel Studios and “Blade.” Comic-Con audiences learned on Saturday night that Ali would be playing the Marvel Comics character in a reboot.
Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige says right after winning his second Academy Award for “Green Book” earlier this year, Ali set up a meeting with the superhero studio.
Within 10 minutes, Ali asked what was happening with “Blade” and said he wanted to play him.
Wesley Snipes played the half-vampire in three films for New Line Cinema and in a recent cameo in “What We Do in the Shadows.”
Although there were rumors that Snipes would return over the years, nothing had officially progressed with the property on the big screen since the rights reverted to Marvel Studios in 2012.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Oscars 2019: Lady Gaga wins her first-ever Academy award, 'Green Book' takes home best picture
- Green Book review – charming deep south road trip is worth taking
- A night of upsets at the Oscars: Green Book shocks with best picture win over favourite Roma while Glenn Close and Lady Gaga are left disappointed when Olivia Colman wins best actress
- Oscars 2019: Bohemian Rhapsody, Black Panther win big as Green Book shocks
- ‘Roma,’ ‘Green Book,’ ‘A Star Is Born’ Lead 2019 Oscar Nominations
- Jack Ma: Green Book sets example for movie makers
- Josh Brolin Is Calling Marvel About Whether His Cable Will Join the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Mumbai woman makes call to make dinner booking, ends up losing Rs 85,000
- Avengers: Endgame Star Karen Gillan Calls Marvel Movies “Great Cinema”
- UFC 232 LIVE RESULTS: Jon Jones calls out Cormier after dominant win, Amanda Nunes destroys Cris Cyborg – latest reaction