NEW YORK — The Latest on power outages amid hot weather in New York City (all times local):
Mayor Bill de Blasio is calling for a “full investigation” into the power outages in New York following this weekend’s high temperatures.
De Blasio told reporters Monday he has lost trust in Con Edison after the private utility company made a “conscious decision” to shut down power in several neighborhoods.
He said the outages were avoidable and the company has provided “no answers whatsoever as to why this happened.”
The mayor added it may be time for the city to consider turning to another entity to provide electricity to the nation’s largest city.
A message seeking comment was sent to Con Ed.
Con Ed said in a news release that crews were still working early Monday to restore service to about 20,000 customers, many in southeast Brooklyn.
Power has been restored to 13,000 customers in Brooklyn, but around 40,000 others across New York City are still without power as temperatures remained high overnight and rain clouds loomed over the city.
Con Edison released a statement after 1 a.m. Monday saying that the utility is working to restore service to 20,000 others in southeast Brooklyn still without electricity. On Sunday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Con Ed was taking customers there off power so it could make repairs and prevent a bigger outage.
Besides that, scattered outages affected most boroughs — primarily in Brooklyn and Queens.
LaGuardia Airport and John F. Kennedy International Airport in Queens have experienced weather-related flight disruptions.
While the weekend’s heat wave cooled somewhat, the low remained in the high 70s and city emergency management officials warned of thunderstorms.
- Power outage follows big pallet fire in Stead
- Boston manhole fires prompt power outages, street closures
- Flash flooding, mass power outages and theme parks underwater: Australia's east coast is devastated by 'once every 100 years' storm – as super cell moves towards Sydney
- PG&E power outages could start Wednesday, one more county added to list
- Collins Park starts closing at dusk due to construction-related power outages
- How have Puerto Rico’s new microgrids performed during its massive power outage?
- SE Qld hit by almost 16,000 power outages
- Minor scare for dialysis patients after power outage
- When will the rain stop? See weather timeline, power outages in Baton Rouge
- Updated: Power Outage In Eastern Suisun City Affects Over 700