Archer is expected to come in for the injured James Anderson, while Moeen Ali has missed out on selection altogether after a miserbale showing in the defeat to Australia at Edgbaston.
Somerset’s Jack Leach, who scored 92 as nightwatchman against Ireland at Lord’s in July, has been recalled to the Test squad.
Olly Stone joins Anderson on the sidelines after suffering an injury to the lower back while training with Warwickshire on Tuesday.
Both are expected to miss the third Test at Headingley, while World Cup star Mark Woods is out of the series altogether.
England squad: Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Sam Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Jack Leach (Somerset), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
- Jonny Bairstow axed from England Test squad as four new faces named for New Zealand tour
- England look for their Ashes questions to be answered at Lord's
- Ashes full player ratings: How did England players perform? Who is at risk for 2021?
- Gwijo Squad confronts legacy of apartheid
- Leeds Rhinos: McDermott axe won’t distract us insists Hall
- Khan ready for Sharks debut in Vitality Blast
- Afcon squads: Who will be on the plane to Egypt?
- India's Rohit auditions as opener as South Africa face spin test
- World C'ships: Mary Kom, debutants take centre stage
- Mexico-Argentina W2W4: Martino faces former squad with unbeaten streak on the line
- Former Colts punter Pat McAfee will make NFL broadcasting debut during Packers-Lions game
- New-look Melton Town set for Gingerbreads test
- How much Hull City's squad is worth
- doesn’t break the mold, but Hasan Minhaj sets a new standard for talk show hosts
- Sport24.co.za | First Test: Batting deep MUST be Proteas priority
- Doncaster RLFC: Matty Beharrell set to make Dons debut at York
- NJ boys hoops: Ranney passes first test vs. Don Bosco Prep, more on horizon
- Makhaya makes his entry
- How did England get to this point?
- A princely entrance
Archer set for Test debut as Ali is axed from Ashes squad have 342 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at August 9, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.