CHICAGO — The Latest on the appointment of a special prosecutor to look at the dropping of charges in the Jussie Smollett case (all times local):
Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx has promised to cooperate with a newly appointed special prosecutor looking into why her office abruptly dropped charges against actor Jussie Smollett that accused him of staging a racist, anti-gay attack against himself.
Foxx said in a statement after former U.S. Attorney Dan Webb’s appointment Friday that her office pledged its “full cooperation” to the special prosecutor. She also said “public trust is paramount” to the work of prosecutors.
Webb served as Chicago’s U.S. attorney in the 1980s and went on to become perhaps its most prominent defense attorney in recent decades.
Depending on what his investigation finds, Webb could end up recharging Smollett, who maintains that the January attack was real and wasn’t staged.
An Illinois judge has named a special prosecutor to look into why state prosecutors abruptly dropped charges against actor Jussie Smollett that accused him of staging a racist, anti-gay attack against himself.
Cook County Judge Michael Toomin’s appointment of former U.S. attorney Dan Webb during a hearing Friday raises the possibility that the special prosecutor could bring new charges against the former “Empire” actor. Smollett maintains that the January attack wasn’t staged.
The Cook County state’s attorney’s office charged Smollett in February with 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly orchestrating the incident. However, it dropped all of the charges a month later with little explanation, angering city officials and the police.
A former state appellate judge, Sheila O’Brien, petitioned for a special prosecutor, leading to Toomin’s surprise ruling in June that one was warranted.
- Special Prosecutor's Office charges mayor of Septemvri over damages to municipality amounting to over BGN 200,000
- Special Prosecutor's Office decides not to initiate pre-trial proceedings against Minister of Culture Boil Banov
- Who is Robert Mueller, the special prosecutor behind the Russia investigation
- Iceland’s special banking prosecutor lays first charges
- Hague Prosecutors to Question Another Kosovo Ex-Guerrilla
- Hague Prosecutors to Question Two More Kosovo Ex-Guerrillas
- Ewing pledges help to hill farmers amidst fears of Brexit 'catastrophe'
- Pledge from PM on redeployment of Dounreay skills
- The companies here to make your house that extra bit special
- Hope for a boost to special school places