IRISH PM Leo Varadkar has told Boris Johnson he must table a new backstop plan before the end of next week. He said Brussels needs detailed written proposals within ten days or “it’s very hard to see how we could agree something” at next month’s crunch EU summit. He insisted the current deal can’t be “amended or cobbled together late at night” when EU leaders gather for a make-or-break meeting on the 17th. After holding talks with Donald Tusk, Mr Varadkar said: “It’s essentially the way the EU works. “If the UK does have meaningful proposals we really need to see them in advance so they can be worked through and worked up in advance of the summit.” Mr Johnson has said he is targeting the October 17 gathering as an opportunity to strike a last-minute deal.And the Irish PM’s deadline gives him breathing space to table a full plan with EU negotiators after the Tory party conference, which finishes next Wednesday. Brussels officials have long suspected Mr Johnson would resist proposing anything in detail before then for fear of alienating the ERG and DUP. ‘NOT ACCEPTABLE’ The EU Parliament’s negotiator Guy Verhofstadt revealed Britain’s ideas for an Irish border… Read full this story
- Who'll bail out Boris? Johnson has taken a vast pay cut to be PM, his ex-wife Marina Wheeler is 'cleaning him out' in expensive divorce, he's unable to afford a nanny - and is forced to pay for every No10 meal himself
- Boris Johnson's former homelessness tsar Louise Casey warns Tories they risk becoming the 'nasty party' again if Rishi Sunak axes £20 increase in Universal Credit as Chancellor comes under pressure from Red Wall Conservatives to U-turn
- Matt Hancock is accused of trying to 'bounce' Boris Johnson into shutting the hospitality sector after warning UK is at 'perilous moment' and that lockdowns will be part of life until a vaccine is found
- What is Boris Johnson’s Easter lockdown plan?
- Boris Johnson begins top secret planning to ease UK lockdown at Easter so Brits can meet loved ones
- Boris Johnson announces new ‘social support bubbles’ for singles as families can FINALLY hug a grandparent again
- Fury as Boris Johnson ‘sacrifices’ family Christmas for 20m with Tier 4 lockdown and bubbles axed
- Theresa May has some front to stab Boris Johnson in back with her calculated attack
- Tory MPs demand Boris Johnson publishes plan to end lockdown from March 8
- It's le Snub! Tory Brexiteers slam EU's 'contemptuous treatment' of Britain after Macron and Merkel REFUSE Boris Johnson's request for a trade talks phone call as PM warns No Deal now 'very, very likely'
Boris Johnson must table new backstop plan before the end of next week, warns Irish PM Leo Varadkar have 435 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 26, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.