A Texas state representative’s tweet to third Democratic presidential debate in Houston.that his AR-15 “is ready for you” has been removed by Twitter, which said it broke the site’s rules “when it came to threats and violence.” Briscoe Cain, who represents a district east of Houston, directed the tweet at O’Rourke during the
O’Rourke has endorsed aplan for assault weapons, and gave an impassioned defense of the idea on Thursday.
“If the high impact, high velocity round, when it hits your body, shreds everything inside of your body, because it was designed to do that, so that you would bleed to death on a battlefield and not be able to get up and kill one of our soldiers,” O’Rourke said. “When we see that being used against children, and in Odessa, I met the mother of a 15-year-old girl who was shot by an AR-15, and that mother watched her bleed to death over the course of an hour because so many other people were shot by that AR-15 in Odessa and Midland, there weren’t enough ambulances to get to them in time, hell, yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47.”
The debate audience erupted in some of the loudest cheers of the night.
But O’Rourke has earned the ire of gun enthusiasts, including Cain, who tweeted “My AR is ready for you Robert Francis,” using Beto O’Rourke’s given name.
Cain’s tweet went viral, with thousands of replies. When one person asked “Did you, uh, just threaten to shoot a former member of Congress and current candidate for president?” Cain responded “You’re an idiot.”
After the debate, O’Rourke retweeted Cain and commented: “This is a death threat, Representative. Clearly, you shouldn’t own an AR-15 — and neither should anyone else.”
Other Twitter users posted that they had reported it and two people on the O’Rourke campaign told CBS News they checked in about it with the FBI.
Two hours after it was posted, Cain’s tweet was removed. Cain responded, “You’re a child Robert Francis” at O’Rourke.
CBS News has reached out to Cain’s office for comment.
At a post-debate watch party, O’Rourke told CBS News Cain’s comment “sure reads like” a threat to him.
“I think it’s a really irresponsible thing for him to do, especially somebody who is a public servant and in a position of public trust to be sending that kind of message to this country. We are a nation of laws, and if that ends up becoming the law of the United States of America, then we expect the people of this country to comply with it,” O’Rourke said.
Timothy Perry contributed to this report.
- QAnon-Supporting Congresswoman Holds AR-15 Giveaway: 'Get a Gun Before It's Too Late'
- Woman Confronts Rep. Beto O’Rourke Over His Anti-Gun Policies: ‘Hell No You’re Not’ Taking My Gun
- Donald Trump launches morning tweet storm claiming again that he 'won the election' despite his lawyers abandoning key demand in bid to overturn Joe Biden's victory
- 'Patients go in and only come out in a body bag': El Paso nurse describes 'The Pit' where COVID patients get just three rounds of CPR before being left to die as Texas enlists inmates to move bodies at morgue for $2 an hour
- Why Kyle Rittenhouse Faces No Charges in Kenosha Shooter's Home State
- Texas' Early Votes Top 76 Percent of Total 2016 Turnout as Dems Aim to Win State for First Time in 44 Years
- El Paso Offers Morgue Workers $27 an Hour as Texas Region Overwhelmed by COVID Deaths
- LSU vs. Mississippi State live updates: Tigers down, need rally in season opener
- Republican Rep Fires Back After Tweet Accuses Him, GOP Colleagues of 'Corrupt Election'
- 'Stansted 15' pro-immigrant activists who stormed runway to stop a jet from deporting 60 criminals to Africa and caused travel misery for thousands appeal their sentences
- Biden turns to familiar faces for his cabinet: President-elect 'will name confidant Tony Blinken as his Secretary of State and longtime Democrat adviser Michele Flournoy as Secretary of Defense'
- 'Uncontrolled Spread' of COVID in Majority of U.S. States
- Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall resigns after misconduct probe
- Beto O'Rourke says white Americans don't know the full story of slavery, continues to support reparations
- Trump trolls Cuomo by saying the delay in New York getting the vaccine is because he's 'playing politics' and other states want it NOW - as huge lines form at Manhattan testing centers
- Full transcript: Ars interviews 8chan founder Fredrick Brennan
- This Texas Town Is America’s COVID-19 Future
- The last supper! Californians enjoy a final meal out and panic buy ahead of state's new month-long 10pm curfew - but Tesla factory workers will be exempt from the rules
- He will represent the best in us says Harris on Biden
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by the UAE Embassy in Washington, DC - Calls mount to start transition as Biden readies Cabinet picks
Texas state representative tweets at Beto O'Rourke: My AR-15 is "ready for you" have 823 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at September 13, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.