A multifaith complex that includes the United Arab Emirates’ first official synagogue will be finished by 2022, the organization behind the construction said Sunday.
The church, mosque and synagogue will be part of the Abrahamic Family House in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
The intention to build the complex was announced in February when Pope Francis met with the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Sheikh Ahmed el-Tayeb, during his visit to the UAE. It was the first papal visit to the Arabian Peninsula.
“A church, mosque and synagogue will share a collective space for the first time, serving as a community for inter-religious dialogue and exchange, and nurturing the values of peaceful co-existence and acceptance among different beliefs, nationalities and cultures,” the committee overseeing construction of the complex said in a statement.
Muslim UAE tries to present an image as a tolerant state supporting religious freedom and cultural diversity. However, the government accepts little dissent against the country’s leadership and is criticized by human rights groups for jailing activists.
Although the synagogue will be the UAE’s first, a small Jewish community of expatriates attend a house for private worship.
The UAE does not have official relations with Israel, but Israeli politicians have recently attended events in the country as part of a broader behind-the-scenes diplomatic opening between the Jewish state and several Arab states.
Other official non-Muslim places of worship in the country include Christian churches, a Hindu temple and a Sikh Gurdwara.
- Indian Envoy condemns hate-speech by Indians in the UAE
- Coronavirus | UAE nationals to be flown out from Kochi international airport
- Coronavirus impact | UAE reviews labour relations with countries not evacuating their citizens: Report
- South American federation wants 48 teams in 2022 World Cup
- Marvel Studios Mystery 2022 Movie Date - What Could It Be?
- UAE to Ramp Up Mars Mission Preparations
- Coronavirus in sport: Qatar 2022 World Cup qualifiers of CONMEBOL to start in September
- It's official! Qatar will compete in 2019 Copa America
- UAE announces $5,500 fine for spreading unauthorised coronavirus information
- Texas border troops' future unclear as initial task nears completion
- Meet Santhosh Kumar, the health official who survived COVID-19
- Port of Indiana-Mount Vernon Completes $2 Million Capital Improvement Project
- Coronavirus | Aavin to ensure milk supply during complete lockdown
- Hanoi astronomy park nears completion
- 17 arrested for attacking officials in Moradabad
- Officials: COVID-19 outbreak at plant may overwhelm system
- Coronavirus | Cases confirmed in North Korea, say officials
- Coronavirus deaths down in NY, but officials urge vigilance
- Boeing completes first Covid-19 transport mission, bringing more than 500,000 face masks to New Hampshire
- Afghan officials: Taliban attacks on checkpoints kill 29
UAE's first official synagogue to be complete by 2022 have 1375 words, post on www.dw.com at September 22, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.