has got off to a flying start as a Test opener. The 32-year-old, who is India’s vice-captain of the limited overs teams, on Saturday followed up his first innings score of 176 with a quickfire 127 to help India set South Africa a target of 395 in the first Test at the ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium.
During the course of his knock, Rohit also set a slew of records for himself.
The Mumbai batsman became the first cricketer to slam twin tons in his maiden Test as an opener.
Rohit also joined an elite list of Indian batsmen who have scored centuries in both innings of a single Test. The others who achieved the feat include Vijay Hazare (1),
(1) and Ajinkya Rahane (1).
With India looking to score quickly on Day 4 in order to force a result in the Test, Rohit was on the offensive, hitting some trademark sixes. He hit seven maximums in the second innings to take his match tally to 13 — the most by anyone in a Test match — going past former Pakistan captain
who struck 12 sixes against Zimbabwe in 1996.
previously held the Indian record for most sixes in a Test, hitting eight against Sri Lanka in 1994. Rohit now holds the record for most sixes in a match for India in all the three formats of the game.
India’s overall tally of sixes in this match is 27, which is the most by any team in a single match in the history of
. The previous record was held by New Zealand, who smashed 22 sixes against Pakistan in 2014 while the previous best for India was 15 sixes against Sri Lanka in Mumbai in 2009.
Rohit also surpassed Rahul Dravid for most consecutive fifty-plus scores by an Indian batsman at home. Dravid had slammed six fifty-plus scores between 1997 and 1998 while this was the seventh time that Rohit went past that mark. His last seven Test scores in India read 127, 176, 50*, 65, 102*, 51* and 82.
Rohit also became the first Indian to get out stumped in both innings of a Test. Interestingly, he never got out stumped in his entire first-class career before this match.
- Stats: Rohit Sharma breaks MS Dhoni's record
- Stats: Rohit Sharma creates multiple records in the fourth ODI
- 10 records Rohit Sharma hold in international cricket
- India vs West Indies 2018: Rohit Sharma's record-breaking knock seals series win
- The lesser known story of Rohit Sharma
- We can defeat England as we have players, skills, and an aggressive captain, claims Rohit Sharma
- 8 records that were shattered as Rohit Sharma produced a blinder in the second T20I
- Rohit Sharma reacts after Test snub
- Stats: Rohit Sharma creates history after his fifty against Pakistan
- WATCH| Rohit Sharma becomes the first Indian cricketer to throw ceremonial 'First Pitch'
- Top Batsmen dismissed by Rohit Sharma in International cricket
- India need to make the best use of Rohit Sharma's form
- Rohit Sharma, the hungry big scorer, is only just getting started
- Five records Rohit Sharma can break before 2018
- A comparison between the captaincy tactics of Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma
- Stats: Rohit Sharma creates history in Malahide
- Stats: Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma create history
- If Test opportunity comes, I will take it, says Rohit Sharma
- Stats: Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli break world record
- I am not at a stage to worry about whether I'll be picked or not, says Rohit Sharma
1st Test: Opener Rohit Sharma breaks a slew of records have 558 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at October 5, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.