Cambodia’s Prime Minister Hun Sen speaks during a news conference at the Government Office in Hanoi, Vietnam Oct 4, 2019. (Reuters file photo) PHNOM PENH: Cambodia’s prime minister threatened on Monday to deploy the military if leaders and supporters of the disbanded main opposition party return from exile next month in what he would regard as an attempted coup d’etat.At least 30 opposition activists have been arrested this year and accused of plotting to overthrow the government before the planned return from self-exile of Sam Rainsy, founder of the dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), on Nov 9. In a ceremony in the capital, Phnom Penh, Prime Minister Hun Sen said Rainsy’s return would be an incursion by forces seeking to overthrow his government. Rainsy has called for an uprising against the longtime leader. Hun Sen said that if opposition leaders and supporters returned, such declarations would mean that “the army must begin to deploy and use weapons of all kinds.” “Attack wherever they are seen, there is no need to wait for an arrest warrant or not,” he said. “Supporters are arrested whenever they are seen.” Last year, Hun Sen extended his rule of more than three decades in… Read full this story
- Turkey’s PM threatens to ban Facebook, YouTube
- Troops on the Border Are Apparently Keeping America Safe by Stringing Up Lethal Razor Wire
- Trump claimed his plan to put troops on the border is extraordinary. It was routine for Obama.
- Iraq threatens to seize oilfields, shut down international flights in northern Kurdish region
- Russia deploys nuclear-capable missiles in Kaliningrad
- Turkey cracks down on Twitter over leaked recordings of PM
- Joint Chiefs: Soldiers At Border Won't Directly Deny Migrants Asylum
- Trump, Putin and Xi: a year of tough-guy leaders and foolish brinkmanship
- North Korea says it's willing to talk with US, and launches projectile
- Defending Canada’s borders by securing NATO’s
Cambodia PM threatens to deploy troops have 320 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at October 7, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.