“Wow, big bullfrogs,” I thought as I heard “plop, plops” slapping the surface of the little pond.It was a perfect early fall morning for a sit-and-see adventure. There was still a chill in the shadows, but the warmth from the October sun felt good.Mornings are a busy time for birds, and I had decided to plunk down on a park bench at the edge of the little pond in Escondido’s Kit Carson Park and see what the local flocks were up to.There was a paddling of ducks drifting about, a single cormorant, a great blue heron watching from a nearby eucalyptus tree, a snowy egret and a couple of juvenile night herons pocking around at the water’s edge. A red-tailed hawk seemed to float overhead. As I sat quietly, a father and his young son came along the dirt path and again, I heard the bullfrogs plopping into the water.But they were not bullfrogs.What I had thought from a distance were muddy rocks or pieces of driftwood turned out to be turtles in varying sizes from 8 to 12 inches.Alert now, I counted nearly a dozen turtles sunning at the edge of the pond. As a hiker approached, they would… Read full this story
- Homeless make friends, ease stress at tai chi class in Utah
- How Cisco Makes Friends
- Mother set up a business throwing RAVES for children as a way to make friends with other parents and now boasts celebrity clients including Abbey Clancy
- Drama ahead! Former stripper Ciarran Stott storms off The Bachelorette after Ryan Anderson says he 'isn't on the show to make friends'
- A clumsy pass, yes. But hardly Jeffrey Epstein: JAN MOIR laments the harsh fate of a 'shy' schoolboy convicted of sexual assault for touching a fellow pupil on the waist while 'trying to talk to her' after Googling 'how to make friends'
- Probe into suspected fuel spill in Aberdeen park burn
- Vietnam’s U22 team to take on China in friendly fixture
- A month ago he was homeless. Then his friends intervened
- Enchanting images reveal 100-year-old ruins of elaborate pleasure park that once hosted the annual 'Henley of the West' regatta and was fashioned after the world-famous Tivoli Gardens in Denmark but now lies overgrown in Cornish woods
Column: Making friends at pond in Escondido's Kit Carson Park have 385 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at October 12, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.