(Reuters Health) – Fathers who drink alcohol in the months just before their child is conceived are more likely to have a baby with heart defects than those who abstain prior to conception, a recent study suggests.When fathers do drink in the three months prior to conception, babies are 44per cent more likely to have congenital heart defects than when they don’t, the study found. And when fathers had drinking binges – more than five drinks on a single occasion – babies were 52per cent more likely to have heart defects.When mothers drank during that pre-conception period or during the first three months of pregnancy, babies had a 16per cent increased risk of congenital heart defects. The increased risk was similar if mothers were binge drinkers.”Binge drinking by would-be parents is a high risk and dangerous behavior that not only may increase the chance of their baby being born with a heart defect, but also greatly damages their own health,” said Jiabi Qin, senior author of the study and a researcher at Xiangya School of Public Health at Central South University in Changsha, China.The study results suggest that men should stop drinking alcohol at least six months before trying to… Read full this story
- Jimmy Kimmel’s Son’s Condition Explained: About 1 Percent of Babies Are Born with Congenital Heart Defects
- Energy drinks ‘increase your risk of heart problems linked to sudden cardiac death’
- 'Soft' robotic heart that uses synthetic material combined with layers of lab-grown human cells could put an end to human transplants by 2028
- The First Known Zika-Related Infant Death in the U.S.
- 'Look what he's done to me!': Girl, 12, left horrifically injured by drink-driver in same head-on crash that killed her mother calls for total alcohol ban before motorists get behind wheel
- Father Arrested In Decades-Old Killings Of 5 Of His Infant Children
- To avoid SIDS, infants and parents should share a room, report says
- Mom Says Pressure to Breastfeed Led to Accidentally Starving Her Infant Son: 'We Were So Brainwashed'
- Community Throws ‘Healing Day’ Three Years After Infant Shot & Killed
- Snoop Dogg's infant grandson Kai Love tragically passes away in the hospital 10 days after his birth
Drinking by prospective fathers tied to infant heart defects have 369 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at October 9, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.