Egyptian security and medical officials say an explosion in a town in restive northern Sinai Peninsula has killed at least nine people of the same family.The officials said the explosion in Bir al-Abd on Saturday also wounded six. It was not immediately clear who was behind the shelling and there were no additional details.Separately, officials say seven security forces were wounded in two militant attacks in Bir al-Abd and the border town of Rafah.The officials demanded anonymity because they weren’t authorized to brief reporters. Egypt is battling an Islamic State-led insurgency in the Sinai that intensified after the military overthrew an elected but divisive Islamist president in 2013. The militants have carried out scores of attacks, mainly targeting security forces and Christians.
- Feds fund encryption apps that some officials say could cloak terrorists
- Elon Musk Says SpaceX Explosion Reason Identified, Launches To Resume In December
- British Spies Are Allowed to Intercept Google and Facebook Traffic, Official Says
- US Faces Major Internet Image Problem, Former Gov't Official Says
- Microsoft Will Not Change China Operations, Official Says
- US agencies making progress on cybercrime, officials say
- Zika Virus May Be Spread Through Sex, Health Officials Say
- Public Wants Online Privacy Rules, U.S. Official Says
- Kenyan Officials Say Government Sites Hit By Indonesian Hacker
- Mayo official says hospital consolidation plan not motivated by short-term profits
Egyptian officials say 9 killed in explosion in north Sinai have 228 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at October 12, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.