Speaking to Sky News, the co-chair of the ERG group of Conservative backbenchers claimed the number of Brexiteers voting for a potential Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal could be similar to the number of ERG members who voted for the Brady amendment to Theresa May’s deal. In January, 317 MPs voted in favour of the amendment that dictated the Government asked to renegotiate the controversial backstop protocol with the EU. It marked the first and only time any Brexit provision reached a majority in the Commons. Almost every ERG members with the exception of three MPs voted for the proposal and Mark Francois hinted the numbers could look very similar when the Prime Minister will put his deal before the Commons this week. He said: “The ERG is not a Stalinist organisation, we’re a group of colleagues. “The offices will give a lead but then we will debate it and it’s up to every individual Member of Parliament to look into their conscience and decide what’s best for their country. “As a former chief whip, I’ve learned never to discuss numbers on television. “But if I can give you a previous example, when there was a vote on the Brady amendment… Read full this story
- Stage Set for Brexit as Boris Johnson Withdrawal Deal Clears Final Hurdle Ahead of Friday Exit Date
- Behind the scenes at PM's Brexit party: Boris Johnson told ministers and aides including an emotional Dominic Cummings 'we did it!' as they sipped English sparkling wine in No10 - but had to count down to historic moment himself after TV failed
- Royal Mail set to release stamps to mark Brexit after Boris Johnson stepped in and made request
- Boris Johnson announces Brexit: PM promises that leaving the EU will 'unleash' the nation but warns of more 'bumps in the road' as he appeals for unity before we FINALLY leave the bloc at 11pm TONIGHT
- Boris Johnson gathers Cabinet in frantic hunt for a way out of Remainer trap: PM holds crisis talks with his ministers as Labour threatens to delay election until DECEMBER to destroy his 'do or die' Brexit vow
- 'The workers are coming for you!' Labour declares class war as Jeremy Corbyn says Boris Johnson wants Brexit for his 'wealthy friends' while union baron Len McCluskey vows to fight the PM 'in our factories'
- 'Today is the day': Boris Johnson hails 'the dawn of a new era' as he heads up North for historic Cabinet meeting as Britain prepares to finally leave the EU at 11pm TONIGHT
- Boris Johnson Finally Gets a Brexit Win — Followed by a Huge Setback
- A new dawn: Boris Johnson will tell Britain that Brexit is 'not an end but a beginning' and promise lasting change for neglected regions as the UK finally leaves the EU at 11pm TOMORROW
- Boris Johnson must table new backstop plan before the end of next week, warns Irish PM Leo Varadkar
Mark Francois hints at number of ERG Brexiteers who will vote for Boris Johnson's deal have 483 words, post on feedproxy.google.com at October 16, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.