How long will Mitt Romney stand up to President Trump? If history is the judge, as long as it’s good for Mitt Romney. For now, the senator from Utah and former Republican presidential nominee is at least sticking his neck out. And, being Romney, no doubt checking to see who else is following. With a few tweets from his personal Twitter account, Romney is now one of four Republican senators who have faulted Trump for trying to drag foreign countries into America’s presidential politics. The others are Ben Sasse of Nebraska, Susan Collins of Maine, and Rob Portman of Ohio. To the pro-impeachment brigade, this is exciting news. But anyone who knows Romney from his days as governor of Massachusetts also knows it’s way too early to nominate him for a Profile in Courage Award. At any given moment, Romney is looking out for what’s best — for Romney. That not to say he never gets behind a cause that’s good for others, too. But with Romney, cause is so intertwined with ambition, it’s hard to separate one from the other — until he does it by throwing his own agenda under the bus. That’s what he did with the… Read full this story
- Robbins: It's over; Trump is going to be the Republican nominee
- Donald Trump reveals he is inviting Turkish strongman Erdogan to the White House next month AND calls Turkey 'good to deal with' in the face of Republican disgust at 'betrayal' of Syrian Kurds with U.S. troop pull-out
- Donald Trump thanks Republicans who stormed impeachment hearing in secure room with their forbidden cellphones as White House doubles down on calling his party enemies 'human scum'
- Trump lashes out at 'scum' Republican critics as impeachment push heats up
- Trump’s Haphazard Syria Deal Leaves Erdogan With Long-Sought Win
- In Hungary, a Freewheeling Trump Ambassador Undermines U.S. Diplomats
- Donald Trump’s Gift to Mitt Romney: Relevance
- Why make an issue of Melania Trump's beauty?
- Elizabeth Warren is finding her moment
- Turkey accused of 'violating' cease-fire; Trump mulls leaving some troops in Syria; Gabbard blasts Clinton
Romney will stand up to Trump as long as it’s good for Romney have 358 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at October 6, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.