A court in Thailand has commuted a Taiwanese man’s death sentence for smuggling heroin to life imprisonment.
A Bangkok Criminal Court official confirmed Thai media reports that 38-year-old Chen Kuan Lin was arrested while trying to smuggle 5.6 kilograms (12.3 pounds) of heroin from Thailand to Taiwan. Authorities found 18 tin boxes labeled as cooling powder in his luggage as he was about to fly from Bangkok’s Don Muang airport.
He was sentenced Wednesday for possession of heroin and trafficking with intent to sell.
The official, who asked not to be named because he wasn’t authorized to discuss the case, says Chen’s sentence was commuted because he confessed, a standard practice in Thai courts. The maximum length of any prison term in Thailand is 50 years.
- 'El Chapo' Guzman associate who testified against the kingpin sentenced to 84 months in prison
- Vietnam customs thwart attempt to smuggle cameras from Hong Kong
- Harley Hicks jailed for life over bashing murder of Bendigo baby Zayden Veal-Whitting
- Student who shared BBC story about Thai king freed from jail
- Utah woman accused of smuggling baby in luggage at Philippines airport arrested on new kidnapping charge
- 'Enough heroin to kill the whole street': does Anna Kavan's life overshadow her fiction?
- Jagger's black witch: She famously slept with Mick and had three children with Keith Richards. But a new book reveals Anita Pallenberg's love life wasn't half as crazy as her obsession with black magic, vampires and spells
- Millersville Man Sentenced To Prison For Teen's Overdose Death
- Mugshot of 45-year-old dubbed 'Skeletor's gran' is 'best drugs deterrent ever'
- Saigon drug haul up tenfold year-on-year: police
- Crime gang 'The Geordies' jailed after reign of misery in seaside towns
- Is Jeremy Bamber still in prison? Where the White House Farm killer is now
- 15 indicted for involvement in L.A. drug-trafficking ring
- Indonesian Leader Addresses Australian Parliament
- Convicted paedophile and former NSW Labor minister Milton Orkopoulos granted parole
- Death penalty upheld for large-scale drug ring
- Paedophile kept children's bras in locked cabinet as 'trophies' of his abuse
- Why the suffragettes still matter: 'they dared to act as the equals of men'
- Queensland man killed wife by driving into river
- El Chapo’s Defense Lawyer Knows the Art of Cross-Examining a Rat
Thai court sentences Taiwanese to life for smuggling heroin have 354 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at October 9, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.