If you can’t go home again, why do they hold homecomings?In my suburban hometown, the prairie is just starting to pop — a maple here, a birch there. Damn these wide lush lawns, soft as quilts. You know you’ll always be a Midwestern guy when you still have grass envy.In a couple of weeks, “the caps are off the paints,” as Illinois poet June Luvisi once wrote. Till then, the sky puts on a fine fall show: big clouds, puffy clouds. You could sprinkle some flour and bake these clouds. Might be the initial feathered edges of the Milky Way.Always been a sucker for stuff that glows: sunsets, fire pits, rising moons. Pumpkins on the porch. Children’s cheeks after autumn recess. And now homecomings. Our most American month, October is.And I’m spending some of it here, amid what my wife used to call “the square-faced Midwesterners,” wearing flannel shirts and big welcome-back grins.As you know, I am a collector of inconsequential moments. I like the way small groups laugh together in bars or the way they hug good night after too much dinner. I like the waitress in the diner who is almost too eager to help.“Everything still OK over… Read full this story
- Job hunting is scary as a greying, middle-aged woman, but for now I’m ditching the dye
- 'Exuberantly darker': Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter on playing Bill and Ted as middle-aged dads
- Danny Heitman's 'At Random': Middle age brings the space to see small things
- 45 years of Tuoi Tre: A flame that never goes out
- Nasa astronauts aboard SpaceX capsule make first splashdown in 45 years
- 45-year-old cab driver killed in Greater Noida; kin says hate crime, police deny claim
- 'Beer belly' raises middle-aged men's risk of prostate cancer death
- 'I held my bullied daughter's hand as she died aged 21 after years of online abuse'
- Gorgeous Medieval Book Is As Heavy As a 5-Year-Old, But Now It's Viewable Weightlessly
- Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter look worlds away from their dapper selves as they grapple with old age in Bill & Ted Face The Music's time travel plot
The Middle Ages: A homecoming 45 years in the making have 351 words, post on www.latimes.com at October 10, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.