Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin also said the U.S has full authority to impose sanctions quickly on Turkey that could include shutting down all U.S. dollar transactions with the country’s entire government — which is something the administration may do. “We are ready to go on a moment’s notice to put on sanctions,” Mnuchin said on ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday. “These sanctions could be starting small, they could be maximum pressure which would destroy the Turkish economy.” His comment echoed that of Trump, who on Oct. 7 tweeted that “if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey.” Asked what the administration is waiting for, Mnuchin said it is a “complicated, developing situation” that the U.S. is closely monitoring and that there have been conversations with Turkish officials who “know what we will do if they don’t stop these activities.” The threats comes amid criticism of Trump’s decision to pull back some U.S. forces in northern Syria, a move that cleared the way for Turkey to send its forces into the country and attack American-allied Kurdish militias. Critics say Trump gave Turkish… Read full this story
- Syria's Kurds put IS on trial with focus on reconciliation
- Sarah Sanders: Trump ‘Extremely Clear’ on Revelation That He Doesn’t Have, Didn’t Make Comey Recordings
- 'There will be chaos once again': Kurds respond to Trump's Syria decision
- Flying the flag for Northern Ireland an honour: O'Hanlon
- 'She has to say what she has to say': Trump gives Angela Merkel a pass over ‘tear down walls of ignorance' dig but insists on D-Day that Germany MUST step up its contribution to NATO
- Amid war, Syria hopes to reach World Cup for 1st time
- Trump’s shock troops: Who are the ‘alt-right’?
- Teed off: Critics say Trump water rule helps his golf links
- Donald Trump abruptly cancels trip to Poland to monitor Hurricane Dorian as it strengthens to a Category 4 and is forecast to hit Florida on Labor Day
- Trump says he'll meet with Xi at the G20 this month in Japan before hitting China with $325 billion in new tariffs
Trump orders US troops out of northern Syria have 375 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at October 13, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.