WASHINGTON — President Trump on Thursday publicly called on China to investigate a political rival, former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., in an extraordinary presidential request to a foreign country for help that could benefit him in the 2020 election. “China should start an investigation into the Bidens,” Mr. Trump said Thursday as he left the White House to travel to Florida where he was expected to announce an executive order on Medicare. The call for China to investigate Mr. Biden and his son Hunter’s business dealings there came as the first witness appeared on Capitol Hill to be interviewed by House investigators as part of an impeachment inquiry into the president’s request in a phone call for help from President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine. Mr. Trump has defended his conversation with Mr. Zelensky as “perfect” even after a reconstructed transcript of the call was released that showed him seeking help from Ukraine in investigating the Bidens. And he doubled down on his request on Thursday. “I would say that President Zelensky, if it were me, I would recommend that they start an investigation into the Bidens,” Mr. Trump said. “Because nobody has any doubt that they weren’t crooked.”… Read full this story
- Biden: Fauci is a 'truth-teller'
- Coronavirus live updates: In rare televised address Queen Elizabeth urges people to fight the spread of pandemic
- Fox isn’t enough: Amid coronavirus crisis, Trump leans on a new media friend
- EXCLUSIVE: White House Officials And Top Trump Advisers Monitoring Efforts To Make China Pay For Coronavirus Fallout
- Coronavirus live updates: Trump says ‘I’m not a doctor’ in touting potential COVID-19 drug
- What the impeachment vote looked like from inside the chamber
- 16 things to know today about coronavirus outbreak
- Coronavirus live updates: Oprah to donate $10 million
- Coronavirus live updates: California cases top 10,000
- Coronavirus live updates: 50,000 dead worldwide
Trump Publicly Urges China to Investigate the Bidens have 313 words, post on www.nytimes.com at October 3, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.