CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — The president-elect of Guatemala said he was blocked Saturday from entering Venezuela where he planned to meet opposition leader Juan Guaidó, who is seeking to oust socialist President Nicolás Maduro. The commercial flight carrying Alejandro Giammattei, who takes office in Guatemala on Jan. 14, made an early morning landing at the airport near Caracas, but his visit ended there. “They didn’t allow our entry into Venezuela,” Giammattei said in a video posted on Twitter. “They escorted us to the gate and put us on the returning plane.” Giammattei expresses his support for Guaido in the video shot from the plane about to depart. Guaidó, who traveled to the airport to greet the foreign leader, launched a campaign early this year with backing from more than 50 nations to unseat Maduro. Critics accuse Maduro of claiming a second term following a fraudulent election in 2018, while overseeing the once-wealthy oil-nation’s economic and social collapse. Giammattei said in another video that in Caracas he planned to invite Guaidó to his inauguration in Guatemala and press for Venezuela’s return to democracy, including the release of political prisoners and the immediate call to elections. Guaidó later spoke at a private… Read full this story
- After a scorched-earth campaign, President-elect Trump softens up in his victory speech
- People Denied Entry Into U.S. After Trump's First Travel Ban Attempt Can Apply for New Visas
- Couple Wearing Homemade 'Abolish ICE' T-Shirts Denied Entry to the Statue of Liberty
- Hundreds of Indian students are being denied entry to the U.S., but nobody knows why
- Washington, DC’s El Centro D.F. Restaurant Removes ‘No Sneaker’ Policy, Fires Racist Bouncer After Black Man Is Denied Entry
- Nigeria’s President-Elect: I Cannot Promise That We Can Find Abducted Girls
- Cruise Ship Denied Entry to Cuba on Maiden Voyage to Havana
- Black Man Denied Entry To Bus in Martha's Vineyard 'Because You're Black'
- Chris Brown Is Denied Entry to UK
- From Tulsan Suha Elqutt: 'I was denied entry to a county courthouse because I am a Muslim woman'
Venezuela denies entry of Guatemala’s president-elect have 346 words, post on www.seattletimes.com at October 12, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.