KATHMANDU, NEPAL — Xi Jinping on Saturday became the first Chinese president in more than two decades to visit Nepal, where he is expected to sign agreements on several infrastructure projects. Xi arrived Saturday from New Delhi, where he met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Nepal is expected to tread cautiously while building relations with big neighbors India and China. India has extensive influence on Nepal’s economy and politics, while China and Nepal share a border covered with high mountain peaks. Jiang Zemin had been the last Chinese president to visit Nepal, making the trip in 1996, but other Chinese leaders — including premiers and foreign ministers — have since paid official visits to the Himalayan nation.Tanka Prasad Karki, a former Nepalese diplomat, said that a Chinese president had not visited Nepal in such a long time because “China was waiting for a strong government in Kathmandu, as the last few decades were marked by a Maoist war, frequent changes of government and political instability.”Xi was received by Nepalese President Bidhya Devi Bhandari and Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli at the Kathmandu airport.Trans-Himalayan connectivity and an extradition treaty will be high on the agenda during official talks on Sunday, said… Read full this story
- Chinese president, wife visit Cambodian King, Queen Mother
- China reappoints Xi Jinping as president with no term limit
- Xi Jinping: what is behind the Chinese president’s power grab?
- Trump says he's optimistic about trade deal with Chinese President Xi, in interview with Tucker Carlson
- Chinese president meets The Elders delegation
- Xi meets Chinese diplomatic envoys to foreign countries
- Wife of Chinese president meets international students
- Chinese authorities pay visits to Uber offices
- President Trump visit spurs road, school closures in Downtown Pittsburgh
- Protesters bar Haiti's president from visiting historic site
Xi becomes 1st Chinese president in 2 decades to visit Nepal have 301 words, post on www.daytondailynews.com at October 12, 2019. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.