The family of a four-month-old baby who was abducted from his crib in 1983 by his babysitter and has not been seen since say they believe he is still alive.
Matthew Crocker was abducted from his family’s home in Van Buren, Arkansas, while he slept alongside his older sister. He would be 36 now.
Police say he was taken by Kathy Johnson, a babysitter who his mother had left him with. His mother met Johnson at a carnival and told her she needed help looking after her children so invited her to stay for a week.
On the morning of June 9, 1983, she discovered both Matthew and Johnson missing. Police have been looking for the pair ever since.
Not long after they vanished, police found a Chevy truck which Johnson allegedly stole but she had discarded it in Oklahoma by the time they got to it.
There have been no other leads since then, but Crocker’s mother and sister are determined to find him.
Matthew Crocker was abducted from his family’s home in Van Buren, Arkansas, while he slept alongside his older sister. He would be 36 now and is imagined in a computer generated imaged, right, issued by authorities
‘We want to find him so bad…Even though he didn’t get to be a part of our family, hopefully he was loved and had a normal, happy life.
‘I just feel that he is alive, and I feel like we will find him,’ his sister Elizabeth, now 38, told People.
‘I just wonder, what’s he like? I don’t know if he has kids, and do they look like mine? And do I look like him? Do we have similar personality traits?
This sketch of Kathy Johnson, the abductor, is the best image police had to use at the time. She had gone to live with Crocker’s mother to help her with the children for a week but snatched him to raise him as her own
‘I wonder so many things,’ she said.
Kathy had distinctive tattoos including one of a unicorn on her left arm and another, of her name and one on her chest of a green and yellow star.
Police do not have a photograph of her but they have been issuing a sketch of her for decades.
She is also thought to have gone by the name Judy.
Authorities have long believed that Johnson took him to raise him as her own son and that he does not know who he really is.
They continue to investigate his disappearance.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the Van Buren Police Department in Arkansas on 479 474-1234 or the National Center of Missing or Exploited Children on 1-800-8435678.
- 'If I get called grandad one more f*****g time!': Gordon Ramsay, 54, reveals he's often mistaken for being 19-month-old son Oscar's grandfather when out with his family
- Tate pusher Jonty Bravery, 19, who threw six-year-old boy off 100ft-high gallery balcony is jailed for another 14 weeks after attacking staff at Broadmoor when they asked to clean his room
- The baby who could be saved by a £1.7m injection: Parents of eight-week-old boy with spinal muscular atrophy could be saved by the world's most expensive drug say their son's health is priceless
- Tate pusher Jonty Bravery, 19, who threw six-year-old boy off 100ft-high balcony at gallery abandons his bid to move from prison to hospital - and loses attempt to reduce minimum term
- Joy Of Sharing Toy Campaign Brightens Christmas For 4-Year-Old Boy Who Was Critically Injured By Hit-And-Run Driver
- Ex-boss, 3 auto drivers held for 16-yr-old’s kidnap, murder
- Lynda Bellingham's sons accuse their stepfather of forcing them to return a family photo album amid a bitter row over her inheritance
- Man, 28, and boy, 17, are arrested after 'nice young man', 15, was stabbed to death in east London after being 'chased by gang like a pack of dogs'
- Boy, 15, is stabbed to death and a 17-year-old left in a life-threatening condition after being knifed and 'attacked with acid' in a second incident during night of violence in London
- Boy, nine, saves his mother from drowning in a pool by using a first aid technique he learnt from watching his favourite TV show Bondi Rescue
- Pictured: Boy, 12, 'who was murdered by teenager, 14' in 'incident' involving pupils from same school before his body was found on village common
- Naya Rivera's ex Ryan Dorsey back on set as he appears on ABC's Station 19 ... five months after her death
- EXCLUSIVE: 'He's LYING through his dentures!' Mrs Brown's Boys star Brendan O'Carroll accused of covering up Gary Hollywood's exit from the show and 'scaring' the rest of the cast
- Shocking moment boy, 16, is fatally shot in the neck outside Bronx deli in daylight attack before gunman flees the scene
- Eating humble pie, Kay? Suspended Sky News presenter Burley breaks cover as she's seen for first time since rule-breaking 60th birthday bash with colleagues (but this time she's dining alone)
- Disturbing twist in case of gunned-down gang boss as crime expert says no bikie could have pulled off the fatal sniper shot at a crowded drag race - and it must have been carried out by a professional assassin
- Coronavirus cases soar by 3,497 in the UK in the highest Saturday rise in FOUR MONTHS as SAGE adviser warns nation is on the brink of losing control of outbreak
- Sophie Turner shares a never-before-seen throwback of her husband Joe Jonas enjoying Italy before learning she was pregnant
- Owner of tattoo parlor destroyed in Nashville Christmas bombing says he believes he saw the white RV that exploded 'staking out' the area for weeks
- Sweden's king says the country's no-lockdown coronavirus approach has 'failed' and people have 'suffered tremendously'
Family of four-month-old boy who was snatched from his crib by a babysitter in 1983 and has not been seen since say they believe he is still alive have 958 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 19, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.