CHESTER, PA. (CBS) — Two children are safe and sound Monday after a harrowing ordeal in Chester. They were in an SUV that was stolen from a Chinese food restaurant.
Two teens are now facing kidnapping charges.
The look you could see on a 6-year-old child’s face revealed the terrifying moments he endured after police say two 17-year-olds stole his mom’s car. He and a 9-month-old sibling were in the back seat of the SUV.
Police say the mother left the car unattended for a short time while she got takeout.
“At this point, it seemed like a crime of opportunity — they found a running car, jumped in it and tried to take it, perhaps thought better of it when they realized what they had,” Chester Police Chief James Nolan said.
What they had was two innocent children and quickly an army of police tracking their movements.
About 20 minutes into the search, Lonette Jackson got home from work and noticed a car was blocking her in.
“I wrote a note asking them not to park there anymore and set the note on the car. We pulled off and went around the corner to the store,” Jackson said.
Jackson and her sister went to the corner store and saw a lot of police activity.
It was then they realized the car that blocked them in was similar to the one investigators were feverishly searching for.
“She was like, ‘Oh my gosh, that’s the car.’ So I jumped out the car and ran around the corner to the cops,” Jackson said.
Jackson was relieved but frustrated she didn’t initially investigate the car further.
“I’m a mom. I’m a little upset with myself because I felt like I put the note on the car and walked away, never even thought to look in the car,” she said. “Had I not gone back outside, those kids probably would have died out there last night. It was freezing.”
Police tracked down the 17-year-old thieves. For a time, people in this neighborhood had feared the worst.
“They got the two teens, right? So, there, they’ll learn — they’ll learn their fate, it’s about to come on them,” Chester resident Bill Tiller said.
The two suspects are facing kidnapping conspiracy charges in the juvenile court system.
The mother of the children is not facing any charges.
- 'Drunk' builder, 29, accused of mowing down and killing four kids after mounting a kerb during a car crash is isolated in prison - as the children's mother FORGIVES him
- Woodburn crash: Victim named after two die in Pacific Highway 'road rage' fight
- Baby dies of coronavirus-linked Kawasaki disease aged eight months becoming Britain's youngest known victim of rare childhood syndrome
- From kitchen prodigy to national joke: How MKR judge Pete Evans was 'changed by fame' and seduced by pseudoscience - as his brother and ex reveal another side to the Paleo chef
- Police hunt woman who threatened to set fire to a newborn baby and attacked mum in street
- Waltham's Paul Mitchell, 27, Dies In Plane Crash
- Police Taser half-naked man as he goads them 'Go on, shoot me!' after threatening to attack officers' wives and children in their homes
- Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return
- Inside ‘Mad Men’: A Fine Madness
- Coronavirus-hit mum-to-be collapsed and screamed ‘something’s wrong’ before giving birth to baby who died
- White man who chased and shot dead unarmed black jogger Ahmaud Arbery with his son is an ex-cop whose law enforcement links caused two prosecutors to recuse themselves - as victim's mom says police are protecting him because 'he is one of them'
- Inside Zara Tindall's Royal Life: Not a Princess, but Not Exactly Normal
- Dad’s agony over not being able to hold tragic baby boy who died three days after coronavirus-hit mum gave birth
- My baby boy could drown from the inside out and even breastfeeding him too much could kill him
- 'I don't keep my kids in the shadows': Anti-vaxxer cosmetic nurse who was arrested at a COVID-19 lockdown rally says her activist four-year-old son was protesting his right to SKATE when cops ripped him from her arms
- Coronavirus live updates: Californians wary of returning to restaurants, gyms, poll finds
- I turned my back for 60 seconds and my baby turned into a floppy ragdoll
- Eliza Coupe Finds Her ‘Happy Ending’ With ‘Benched’
- Mum’s fury after smirking yob spits at her 11-month-old baby girl then cycles off laughing
- Boris Johnson unveils new slogan for roadmap out of lockdown but new stay at home message draws criticism amid shock warning 100,000 could die if coronavirus restrictions are lifted too early
‘Kids Probably Would Have Died’: Woman Alerts Chester Police After Finding Stolen SUV With Boy, Baby Brother Inside have 758 words, post on philadelphia.cbslocal.com at November 18, 2019. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.