Jim Lehrer, co-host and later host of the nightly PBS ‘NewsHour’ who for decades offered a thoughtful take on current events, has died aged 85. Lehrer died ‘peacefully in his sleep,’ according to PBS. He had suffered a heart attack in 1983 and more recently, had undergone heart valve surgery in April 2008. For Lehrer, and for his friend and longtime partner Robert MacNeil, broadcast journalism was a service, with public understanding of events and issues its primary goal. Lehrer was also a frequent moderator of presidential debates. Jim Lehrer during the first US Presidential Debate between nominees now deceased Senator John McCain of Arizona and Barack Obama, then senator from Illinois, at the University of Mississippi. Lehrer died Thursday at his home. He was 85 Jim Lehrer and his long-time partner Robert MacNeil attend the 2016 New Group Gala at Tribeca Rooftop in 2016. For both men, broadcast journalism was a service, with public understanding of events and issues its primary goal Jim Lehrer (center) pictured with his colleagues at PBS ‘We both believed the American people were not as stupid as some of the folks publishing and programming for them believed,’ Lehrer wrote in his 1992 memoir, ‘A Bus… Read full this story
- Prince Harry reveals he and Meghan Markle will only have TWO children to help save the planet (unlike William and Kate with three) - and says how 'unconscious bias' is causing racism in Britain in wife's Vogue
- Fact Check: Trump's Claim's on Cohen, Clean Air, Taxes
- Spinal-Cord Stimulators Help Some Patients, Injure Others
- Missing: Politicians who take clear stand on tech
- President Obama's full speech in South Africa
- What if All Your Secrets Went Public?
- Your network is at risk
- Who killed micro radio?
- Search for new lungs begins with changed heart
- Why a terminally ill young woman changed her mind about living
Anchor and co-founder of PBS News Jim Lehrer, 85, dies 'peacefully' in his sleep as Nancy Pelosi leads tributes saying the nation has lost a 'champion for truth and transparency' have 294 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 23, 2020. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.