He believes cricketing action should return in future “even it is behind closed doors” but without compromising on the health of the players.
“If hopefully in the near future cricket is possible and the health of people is not compromised, I’m sure every cricketer will say we should get cricket back on, even if it is behind closed doors,” Ali said in a video conference with reporters.
“There is no sport on TV right now that people can watch. They will be happy to get the sport back on TV. People’s health is more important, but if we can get the sport going without imperilling that, I’d support it.” Ali is confident that world body ICC will do the needful.
“I’m sure the ICC will look at this. The Test Championship was a long competition anyway, so I don’t think it would be a big deal to extend it if the series cannot be held in time; I’d support extending the Test championship,” he added.
Azhar’s statement came after Misbah called for an extension of the World Test Championship as and when cricket resumes in order to provide a fair and equal playing field to all teams. The forced break in the cricketing calendar has allowed Ali to look back on his nascent captaincy tenure, which started only in last October when he replaced Sarfaraz Ahmed.
So far Ali has witnessed a mixed outing as captain, which includes a 0-2 loss in Australia, followed by a 1-0 win over Sri Lanka at home and a comprehensive victory over Sri Lanka in the first Test at Rawalpindi before the series was called off because of the pandemic.
“I did want to bring fresh ideas into the team when appointed, and remove the fear factor that players have,” he said. “The players should feel free to express themselves. In a team culture, the captain bears great responsibility for the sort of culture they develop. I want to ensure that regardless of whether I’m in the dressing room or not, the environment is such that everyone thinks about the good of the team.
“Just as important, we want the dressing room to be a relaxed, not a tense place. We’ve seen – and not just in Pakistan – that when the team is under pressure, the dressing room becomes a very tense place. Decision-making is affected by tension and pressure,” Ali added.
- Azhar Ali: I will step aside from Pakistan Test team's captaincy if things don't work out
- Azhar Ali needs to tame old demons again
- Focus on Karachi pitch as Pakistan, Sri Lanka eye Test Championship points
- Pakistan Seal Triumphant Test Cricket Return With Sri Lanka Win
- 2nd Test, Day 1: SL bundle out Pakistan for 191
- No logic in Bangladesh refusing to play Test series in Pakistan, says coach Misbah
- 1st Test: Ajaz Patel Spins New Zealand To Thrilling 4-Run Win Over Pakistan
- Pakistan fight back after Shaheen Shah Afridi’s five-fer in second Test
- Will be a big disappointment if Bangladesh don't come - Misbah
- Misbah-ul-Haq says Bangladesh’s refusal to play Tests in Pakistan unfair
- No logic in Bangladesh refusing to play Test series in Pakistan: Coach Misbah
- Pakistan vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test: Abid Ali, Shan Masood Hit Centuries To Put Pakistan On Top On Day 3
- Pakistan vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test: Shaheen Afridi's Maiden Five-Wicket Haul Helps Pakistan Fight Back On Day 2
- Shaheen Shah Afridi helps Pakistan fight back against Sri Lanka with five-fer
- South Africa's Du Plessis says involvement in off-field drama took toll
- Faf Du Plessis Says Off-Field Dramas In South African Cricket Took Toll
- The Muhammad Ali tribute you MUST read!
- Pakistan cuts down Sri Lanka lead to 23 in 2nd test
- 'Crazy' dead heat in World Cup ski race
- How impeachment affects Trump's foreign policy
Azhar Ali backs Misbah, says coronavirus-affected World Test Championship should be extended have 809 words, post on www.mykhel.com at April 10, 2020. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.