Theresa May has accused Dominic Cummings of failing to “follow the spirit” of coronavirus lockdown guidance. The former Prime Minister, who was Home Secretary for six years before entering No10, said she could “well understand” the public’s “anger” at revelations he drove 260 miles from London to a family farm in Durham during the Covid-19 shutdown when people were told to stay at home. In a fresh blow to Boris Johnson as the Tory civil war over Mr Cummings widened, she became the latest senior Conservative to criticise the behaviour of the No10 aide. Delivering her verdict in a statement to her constituents in Maidenhead, Berks, Mrs May said: “What this matter has shown is that there was a discrepancy between the simple messages given by the Government and the details of the legislation passed by Parliament. “In these circumstances I do not feel that Mr Cummings followed the spirit of the guidance. “I can well understand the anger of those who have been abiding by the spirit of the guidance given by the Government and expect others to do so. “One of my biggest concerns has been that the ongoing focus on Mr Cummings has been detracting from the… Read full this story
- 'End is in sight for a good deal on Brexit', says Dominic Raab
- Boris Johnson RESIGNS over ‘turd’ Brexit plan hours after David Davis in hammer blow to Theresa May
- Theresa May insists Syria bombing raids will stop tyrants like Assad and Putin from using chemical weapons
- In full: Theresa May's speech at Belfast's Waterfront Hall
- Theresa May’s Brexit White Paper reveals plans to let EU nationals to carry on migrating to Britain visa free for years at a time
- Commons rules allow May to ignore MPs' vote on 'alternative Brexit'
- Theresa May's Conservative party conference speech in full
- Brexit LIVE: EU negotiations 'agreed at a technical level' reports say
- Theresa May’s Chequers deal suffers blow after key DUP allies back alternative plan from Brexit hardliners
- Will Boris Johnson become the next Prime Minister? The latest odds on who will take over from Theresa May
Theresa May says Dominic Cummings 'did not follow the spirit' of lockdown rules have 342 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at May 29, 2020. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.