(CNN)While top-class sport is slowly returning to empty stadiums and with strict hygiene and social distancing measures in place, rugby union fans in New Zealand have gone back to what everyone hopes will be the future. An estimated crowd of 20,000 packed into the Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin Saturday to watch the home side Otago Highlanders host the Waikato Chiefs in the Super Rugby Aotearoa competition. With barely a face mask in sight and with enthusiastic fans hugging each other with delight when points were scored, it was a successful return to the “normal” for Otago, which beat the visitor 28-27 with a last-gasp drop goal from replacement Bryn Gatland. The lifting of Covid-19 restrictions in New Zealand has allowed fans to return to stadiums as the match between Otago Highlanders and Waikato Chiefs is watched by an estimated crowed of 20,000 at the Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin. To make the victory more sweet, Gatland is the son of Chiefs’ coach Warren, who will take charge of British and Irish Lions on the planned tour of South Africa next year. Before the match, Gatland, who stood down as Wales coach after the World Cup last year, spoke for… Read full this story
- Rugby: Sunwolves demise, sparse Singapore crowd underline rugby's Asia problem
- Former All Blacks centre Nonu returns to Blues
- Stuttering South Africans look for change of fortune in Super Rugby
- Billionaire Facebook Investor Peter Thiel Pours Money Into His "Utopia," New Zealand
- The 27 best under-the-radar places to spend New Year's Eve, according to the world's leading travel experts
- Meghan Markle's visit to a Fijian market was cut short due to 'crowd management issues'
- An out-of-favour ‘bargain’ stock to watch
- REVIEW: Virgin Australia's incredible new business class to LA
- From Justin Timberlake's outfit to the length of the national anthem -- These are the 17 weirdest prop bets for the Super Bowl
- Meghan Markle delighted New Zealanders by speaking Maōri in a speech about gender equality
Crowds, yes crowds, return to watch Super Rugby in 'coronavirus-free' New Zealand have 318 words, post on edition.cnn.com at June 13, 2020. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.